Become a Member of NEHA Today!

Custom Search

NEHA > Credentialing > REHS/RS


Registered Environmental Health Specialist / Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS)





What is a REHS/RS Credential?

The REHS/RS is the premiere NEHA credential. It is available to a wide range of environmental health professionals.  Individuals holding the REHS/RS credential show competency in environmental health issues, direct and train personnel to respond to routine or emergency environmental situations, and frequently provide education to their communities on environmental health concerns. 


Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to sit for the REHS/RS credential examination, a candidate must meet all of the criteria for Track A or Track B or Track C.

Track A – Environmental Health Degree Track. You must be able to answer YES to all the questions for Track A.  If you answer a question with a “No,” proceed to Track B.

1.    Do you have a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD from a college or university in the United States?   For foreign degrees and diplomas, see the Candidate Information Brochure section on foreign education.

2.    Is your degree in Environmental Health?   

3.    Is your school and degree program on the appropriate EHAC list below?        

a.    Bachelor’s in Environmental Health:

b.    Master’s or PhD in Environmental Health:

If you answered “Yes” to all three questions above, you can apply on Track A.  You will not need to submit proof of work experience.

Track B – Bachelor’s Degree Track.  You must be able to answer YES to all questions for Track B. If you answer a question with a “No,” proceed to Track C.

1.    Do you have a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD from a college or university accredited in the United States?  Your degree can be in any subject.  For foreign degrees or diplomas, see the Candidate Information Brochure section on foreign education.

2.    Do you have 30 semester hours (or 45 quarter hours) of college credit in basic science coursework?  Basic sciences include Life Sciences, Natural Sciences, Physical Sciences or Health Sciences. 

3.    Do you have credit for a college level Math or Statistics class? 

4.    Do you have two years or more experience working in environmental health*?  Work experience should be full-time paid work. 

*  Eligible areas of environmental health include general environmental health (including inspections, environmental microbiology, and contamination control), food protection, wastewater, solid and hazardous waste, potable water, inspections of facilities, institutions and licensed establishments, swimming pool inspections, radiation, occupational safety and health, healthy housing, indoor air quality, and disaster and emergency planning.

Track C – “In Training” Track.   On Track B above, if you said YES to questions 1, 2, and 3 but you do NOT have two years of work experience in environmental health, you can apply on the “In Training” Track.    You would choose REHS/RS-In Training (I.T.) on the application.  You will not be required to submit proof of work experience.  If you pass the exam, your certificate will say, “REHS/RS – In Training.”  You will then have 3 years to obtain 2 years of work experience. Once you have acquired that experience, you can qualify for the full REHS/RS certificate by notifying NEHA and submitting proof of work experience.  If you do not obtain the 2 years of work experience, your “In Training” status will expire and you risk losing the credential and may have to reapply and retake the exam.

On Track B above, if you said NO to question 1 (and you do not have a foreign degree either) OR said NO to question 2 (science hours) OR question 3 (math class), then your education does not meet the requirements for the REHS/RS credential set by the NEHA Board of Directors.

The Board of Directors has ruled that NEHA cannot accept work experience in lieu of college coursework.



NEHA’s Credentialing Handbook

It is strongly recommended that you read NEHA’s Credentialing Handbook: Guide to Policies and Procedures for NEHA’s Credentialing Programs. This handbook  outlines all the policies you are expected to follow by being a NEHA credential holder. The handbook also outlines in further detail the procedures for applying for a credential, submitting continuing education, and maintaining your credential.

If you would like to request a hardcopy of NEHA’s Credentialing Handbook, please contact the Credentialing Department at (303) 756-9090 ext. 310, or email




Home | Journal of Environmental Health | Research & Development Programs
Bookstore | Credentials | Continuing Education | Online Education
Position Papers | Job Center | Conferences | Events | Affiliated Organizations | EH Links

National Environmental Health Association, 720 S. Colorado Blvd., Suite 1000-N, Denver, CO 80246-1926
Phone: 303.756.9090, Fax: 303.691.9490, Email:
Copyright © NEHA 2000-2014 | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy