Environmental Health Program Manager
Company: Chelan-Douglas Health District
Location: East Wenatchee, WA
Date Posted: March 7, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $54,635 to $69,730 annually
Environmental Health Program Manager, On-Site/Land Use Program
About the Position
Required to become a member of the local collective bargaining unit.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Supervise public health regulatory activities related to onsite septic installations and water systems, and supervise other environmental health staff assigned to those activities. Supervise other environmental health staff as assigned by the Environmental Health Director.
Participate in, and supervise other staff members involved in, the following environmental public health activities:
Evaluates land use proposals such as subdivisions, short plats, and conditional use permits for environmental health requirements; and reviews and comments on SEPA documents.
Reviews applications and issues permits and/or plan approvals for onsite sewer systems (OSS), repair/replacement OSS, reuses of OSS, new or expanding Group B water systems and private water systems, and new well sites for public water systems. Compares application to regs, standards, guidelines and departmental policies and procedures to determine compliance. Reviews and makes recommendations on requests for variances from the regulations; issues Class A waivers for on-site sewer systems. Performs OSS Site Evaluations.
Performs regulatory inspections on OSS and water systems; performs sanitary surveys of public water systems; reports code or permit violations and poor practices to the owner/operator in person and by correspondence, and to the District by maintaining public records of the conditions observed and the actions taken and consults with the owner/operator to devise ways of improving conditions and practices to avoid further problems.
Responds to complaints regarding water and wastewater and other public health nuisances.
Takes enforcement actions by means of compliance letters, re-inspections, probation inspections, Notices of Violation, assessment of fines, testimony at enforcement hearings and legal proceedings, permit revocation, stop work or refrain from use orders, and by preparing materials for court actions.
Coordinates activities with appropriate government agencies and personnel such as local building and planning departments, prosecuting attorneys, commissioner, and state departments of Health and Ecology.
May be called upon to provide community education, septic system installer and other licensee or contractor education; verify that educational opportunities are available to outlying areas; investigate potential causes of illness from environmental factors affecting the public; respond to immediate health hazards by assisting in the development of press releases and providing technical assistance.
Shares responsibility for conducting after hours inspections of temporary food service vendors.
Provides reports and updates to the Environmental Health Director regarding the On-site and Land Use program and its activities.
Other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to provide effective supervision to other environmental health staff members.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate the quantity and quality of On-Site/Land Use program services and activities, and update the EH director on these points.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater technology
- Knowledge of environmental health land-use planning practices
- Knowledge of applicable environmental health laws and regulations
- Ability to independently manage work assignments to insure timely work-products
- Ability to accurately communicate regulatory requirements to the general public and industry professionals
- Ability to follow District policies and procedures to insure consistent regulatory outcomes
- Ability to use standard PC applications and other technology as applicable
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Health or other related field
- Current R.S/R.E.H.S. license
- Current WA St. Driver’s license
- Possession of Onsite Septic Certificate of Competency from WA Department of Licensing within 2yrs of hire
- Five years experience in on-site/land use or comparable Environmental Health work.
- Eight years experience with onsite/land use or comparable work.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work activities occur both indoors and outside Desk work involves repetitive manipulation of office equipment including PCs.
Drives cars, vans, pick-ups in all seasons, 100-200 miles per day.
Works outdoors in all seasons and occasionally during evenings and weekends.
Hikes across undeveloped terrain, up steep slopes, carrying up to 40 lbs. of equipment.
Enters and exits test-holes dug by backhoe.
How to Apply
Application - Go to www.cdhd.wa.gov, click About (top of home page), click Careers, select and download Application.
Position Description - Go to www.cdhd.wa.gov, click About (top of home page), click Careers, click on position title.
Mail - Barry Kling, Administrator, Chelan-Douglas Health District, 200 Valley Mall Parkway, East Wenatchee, WA 98802.
Email Application or any questions - firstname.lastname@example.org