Environmental Health Specialist II
Company: Eagle County
Location: Eagle, CO
Date Posted: March 26, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $55,016.00 - $68,765.00 Annually
Environmental Health Specialist II
About the Position
Performs a variety of professional and technical environmental health functions including the enforcement of rules and regulations adopted by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment's Boards and Commissions through the inspection and investigation of regulated facilities and activities.
Example of Duties
- Inspects food service establishments, child care facilities, schools, camps, and retail markets to assure code compliance with environmental health regulations. Investigates food service complaints, conducts related surveys and coordinates/conducts food safety training. Maintains accurate records and facilitates annual licensing for retail food establishments.
- Assists in the investigation of environmental complaints such as illegal dumping, failing septic systems, air & water quality concerns and related environmental issues; collects samples of air, water, soil and other elements as needed for laboratory testing.
- Reviews engineer designed OWTS for completeness and compliance with state and county regulations. Assists in the administration of the OWTS program including issuing permits, conducting site visits and evaluations, performing technical calculations, ensuring proper certification of systems and licensing of OWTS Contractors and Cleaners. Reviews building permits for acceptable sewage disposal.
- Provides technical assistance to the public on matters concerning environmental and public health. Assists in developing written regulations.
- Monitors Colorado Electronic Disease Reporting System from Communicable disease activity.
- Performs plan reviews to ensure adequate design and construction of food service establishments, schools, retail markets and pools.
- Develops and conducts special projects involving environmental health issues, including educational outreach programs such as septic installer and cleaner seminars, newsletters, website articles, food service training, meetings and Earth Day functions.
- Performs other related core service duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Health, Biology or related sciences; or any combination of education and experience that produces the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Minimum Work Experience and Qualifications:
- Two years of directly environmental health related experience.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of environmental health administration.
- Knowledge of laws, codes, and ordinances related to environmental health.
- Make well-founded and logical interpretations of codes and regulations quickly, and in the best interest of the jurisdiction.
- Interpret technical information in a way that a variety of individual levels of education and expertise can understand.
- Effectively interact with internal staff, citizens, contractors, government agencies in such areas as administering programs to insure compliance with design specifications and codes.
- Respond to citizens questions regarding public health concerns and consult with engineers, homeowners and installers in reviewing detailed plans for OWTS.
- Concentrate and pay close attention to detail with constant interruptions while performing calculations or conducting inspections; or while speaking to citizens requiring immediate assistance or registering a complaint.
Preferred Work Experience and Qualifications:
- State Standardized Retail Food Service Establishment Inspector preferred.
- Servsafe® Registered Instructor preferred.
License, Certification, or Registration:
- Valid Colorado driver's license and a satisfactory motor vehicle record.
- Must possess a Registered Environmental Health Specialist Credential.
How to Apply
Apply online: http://www.eaglecounty.us/HR/Job_Opportunities/