EPA Principal Deputy Assistant Administrator for Science for the Office of Research and Development Visits NEHA
On July 30, NEHA had the privilege of hosting Dr. Jennifer Orme-Zavaleta, Principal Deputy Assistant Administrator for Science for the Office of Research and Development (ORD), and EPA Science Advisor.
Dr. Orme-Zavaleta met with NEHA staff to present an overview of the ORD. She discussed the activities of the office including their research efforts that has led to environmental legislation, as well as the types of research programs they are involved in. Her presentation sparked insightful conversations on emerging contaminants, water quality, and risk management concerns.
Dr. Orme-Zavaleta discussed the all-important partnership between NEHA and ORD. Highlights include:
- Strong EPA-ORD presence at 2018 NEHA Annual Educational Conference, with senior leadership speaking roles, multiple scientific sessions, ORD booth in Expo, and participation in tools demos.
- Collaboration on quarterly public health webinars, hosted by NEHA highlighting ORD research.
- ORD expert participation on NEHA Big Cities Environmental Health Directors webinars, featuring speakers on 1) wildfires and public health and 2) health risks from and clean up after flooding.
- Connections with local practitioners to provide early input during tool development.
- Regular coordination on communication, outreach and social media.
Thank you to Dr. Orme-Zavaleta for visiting NEHA and for the informative discussion! We enjoyed having you.
Check out the following links for more information:
- EPA Research Webpage
- EPA Tools and Resources Webinar Series
- EPA Methods, Models, Tools and Databases
- EPA Science Matters Newsletter
- It All Starts With Science Blog