Environmental Health Director
Company: Mecklenburg County
Location: Charlotte, NC
Date Posted: March 14, 2018
Application Deadline: March 29, 2018
Employment Type: Full time
Environmental Health Director
About the Position
Responsible for directing the activities of a business unit within a department.
- Provides oversight and direction for implementation of programs/services.
- Manages strategic planning initiatives.
- Ensures Federal, state and local policy, rules and regulations are followed.
- Coordinates within the department across divisions.
- Represents the division County-wide and to the Board of County Commissioners.
- Takes on legislative initiatives.
- Makes decisions on the day-to-day operations
- Interprets policies.
- Services as a liaison, both internally and externally.
- Reviews reports submitted by staff members to recommend approval or to suggest changes.
Experience and Education: Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Health, or in the physical or biological sciences and seven years of progressively responsible management experience directly related to the area assigned; or a Master’s degree in Environmental Health or the physical or biological sciences and three years of program experience and 2 years of supervisory experience; or, an equivalent combination of training and experience. Additional training in public health, or the requisite degree in Environmental Health or the physical or biological science combined with a Master’s of Public Health is ideal.
Equivalent Education & Experience Accepted? Yes. However, a degree in Environmental Health or a degree with a minimum of 30 semester hours in the physical or biological sciences is required for position registration.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Registration with the NC State Board of Registered Environmental Health Specialists within one year of employment.
- Must have delegation of authority from NC DHHS in one or more of the following fields within one year of employment:
- Food, Lodging and Institutions (FLI)
- Child-Care and School Sanitation (CCSS)
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention (CLPP)
- Public Swimming Pools (PSP)
- On-Site Wastewater (OSWW)
- Tattoo Sanitation (TATT)
- Private Wells (Wells)
- Valid NC or SC driver’s license and the ability to obtain and maintain a County Operator Permit.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- The structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, and agency rules, and the political climate.
- Expertise in area of assignment.
- Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Building Strategic Work Relationships – Developing and using collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
- Aligning Performance for Success – Focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives.
- Strategic Decision Making – Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Formal Presentation – Presenting ideas effectively to individuals or groups when given time to prepare; delivering presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Leading through Vision and Values – Keeping the organization’s vision and values at the forefront of associate decision making and action.
How to Apply
Search by Job Opening ID: 109466