Environmental Health Manager
Company: Mecklenburg County
Location: Charlotte, NC
Date Posted: September 21, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $66,404.80 - $87,156.30
Environmental Health Manager
About the Position
This position is responsible for the direction, administration, and overall management of one or more environmental health programs: Food, Lodging and Institutions; Pools and Environmental Health Services; Groundwater Services; or Environmental Health Support Services. The incumbent participates in the development of strategic plans for specific program areas and must be aware of developing trends and best practices. Specific duties include the maintenance of contractual relationships with outside agencies; development and management of budget; maintenance and ordering of supplies; and supervision of professional level staff.
- Manages the operation of assigned environmental health programs and regulatory activities, environmental assessment studies, and special projects relating to control of food safety, vector control and environmental risk factors that have a direct impact on public health.
- Trains, supervises and monitors the work of Environmental Health Supervisors with direct oversight of teams enforcing multiple state and local laws, rules, and regulations.
- Determines requests and manages staff, material, computer and equipment needs for operations and programs, including preparation of budgetary estimates and requests.
- Develops goals, objectives and operating plans to ensure that the strategic goals of the Department are met.
- Develops criteria for quality assurance for measuring and evaluating the effectiveness of programs, studies and activities including performance of program staff and recommend new strategies for performance improvement.
- Reviews, recommends and implements new and revised laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures to respond to changes in operational and program needs, objectives and priorities.
- Directs and coordinates program response to food, water and vector borne communicable disease outbreaks and other enforcement investigations.
- Consults with management, other governmental agencies and industry representatives concerning environmental matters including leading and participating in multi-organizational teams and projects.
- Manages and assigns responsibility for promotional and community outreach activities related to environmental health programs.
- Prepares reports and summaries on activities and programs.
- Reviews and evaluates studies, projects and programs for adherence to administrative and technical policies and program goals and objectives, and initiates corrective action where necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Management theories, principles and practices.
- State laws and regulations, county ordinances, administrative rulings, and judicial decisions that pertain to the area of environmental health and sanitation.
- Communicable diseases, transmission methods and prevention.
- NC public contracting and skills in contract composition.
- Interpreting statistical analyses of food, water, and vector borne illness outbreaks and other related environmental health issues.
- Utilizing effective written and oral communications, providing exceptional customer service.
- Recognizing and respecting diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Using a computer and related database and software applications.
- Maintaining and managing resources: containing costs and balancing resources
- Managing performance: assigning responsibilities, taking corrective action, demonstrating leadership and evaluation, developing employees.
- Quality Improvement Processes.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Managing with facts, focusing on results, providing clear direction and encouraging innovation.
- Strategic thinking: Think proactively and solving problems.
- Organizing, evaluating, and acting upon observations identified in the field.
- Planning and Organizing – Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Developing Others – Planning and supporting the development of individuals’ skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Facilitate Change – Encouraging others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities; facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace.
- Collaboration – Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Communication – Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS STATEMENT
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience: Seven years in Environmental Health including 3 years as a direct supervisor.
Education: Incumbents must be Registered Environmental Health Specialists. BS and earned a minimum of 30 semester hours or its equivalent in the physical or biological sciences.
Equivalent Experience for Education Accepted? Yes
Licenses and Certifications (based on the area of expertise): Registered Environmental Health Specialist. All requirements for registration, including successfully passing a comprehensive exam must be met within 3 years from date of registration or the incumbent cannot practice in this field. Valid North Carolina or South Carolina driver’s license and be able to obtain and maintain a valid Mecklenburg County Vehicle Operator’s Permit. State authorization in Onsite waste water, Public Pools and Tattoos within 2 years of hire date, required. State authorization in Onsite waste water, Public Pools and Tattoos, preferred.
How to Apply
Apply online: https://www.mecknc.gov/HR/Pages/ApplyOnline.aspx