Company: Wyoming Department of Agriculture
Location: Moorcroft, WY
Date Posted: September 28, 2018
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $19.33- $24.91 Hourly
Inspection Specialist, ININ08-09122
About the Position
The Wyoming Department of Agriculture is seeking an Inspection Specialist II for its Consumer Health Services Division, in Moorcroft, WY. This position performs a variety of tasks in the enforcement of state and federal food and drug, meat, dairy and egg laws, and health and sanitation; inspects food establishments, retail food stores, child care facilities, group homes, meat processing / slaughter plants, temporary food stands, public swimming pools and spas, food processing facilities, food warehouses, water hauling trucks, and bed and breakfasts establishments within the area to ensure compliance with state standards. Performs epidemiological investigations, confers with and advises the public on complaints and public health standards.
Human Resource Contact: 307-777-7003
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Manages a caseload of inspections, where travel will be required.
- Responsible for on-site inspections, monitoring visits and investigation of complaints.
- Performs tasks in a variety of regulatory programs in the enforcement of state and federal rules.
- Inspects establishments and equipment.
- Provides education and enforces compliance.
- Maintains records and equipment.
- Reviews new construction and remodeling plans for various public and private facilities.
- Confers with industry on labeling requirements for food.
- Serves as a witness during hearings as requested.
Preference will be given to the candidate with a Bachelor's degree in the sciences and two years of experience.
The successful candidate shall demonstrate their qualifications by being a Certified Professional in Food Safety (CPFS) or a Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian (REH/RS) or be able to become certified within one year of employment.
- Knowledge of federal and state meat, poultry, food and drug, childcare, swimming pool, dairy and egg regulations and labeling laws.
- Knowledge of principles and concepts of microbiology, chemistry and food service.
- Knowledge of practices, procedures, methods of techniques of inspection surveying, sampling and reviewing blueprints and facility designs for all types of facilities inspected.
- Knowledge of water supplies and sewage systems designs and operations as affected in food safety and public health.
0-2 years of progressive work experience (typically in Inspection) with acquired knowledge at the level of an Inspection Specialist I
Education & Experience Substitution:
3-5 years of progressive work experience (typically in Inspection) with acquired knowledge at the level of an Inspection Specialist I
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to read and operate testing equipment.
- Must be able to perform meat slaughter and processing inspections in a damp environment.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- All new hires or rehires starting in a non-exempt position on or after January 1, 2018 are required to be paid hourly.
How to Apply
010-Department of Agriculture - Consumer Health Services Division
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
Agency: State of Wyoming
Dept. of Admin. & Information-Human Resource Div.
2001 Capitol Ave. Emerson Bldg. Rm 127
Cheyenne, Wyoming, 82002
Wyoming Department of Agriculture Contact
Human Resource Contact:
Deb Smith: 307-777-7003