Company: City of Arlington
Location: Arlington, TX
Date Posted: January 14, 2019
Application Deadline: February 4, 2019
Employment Type: Part Time / Temporary
Salary: $25 / Hour
Health Inspector/Env Health Specialist
About the Position
Under general supervision, inspects facilities and property to assure conditions are not detrimental to public health; and maintains records and performs related work as required. This is a temporary position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Ability to inspect food establishments, and child care facilities, to enforce health and nuisance codes and issue permits.
Ability to prepare written reports on inspection findings and any violation of regulations, including court citations. Ability to prepare written correspondence relative to plan review regarding violations and related informational items.
Ability to provide information to the public and other city departments on methods of general sanitation by verbal exchanges, memos, correspondence or pamphlets. Ability to communicate with architects, engineers, contractors, building owners, Sanitation Inspectors and City employees in other departments to coordinate information, solve problems and answer questions pertaining to Health Code enforcement.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
Ability to interpret results of laboratory findings on samples of food or samples taken from water and septic installations and recommend any corrective action. Ability to instruct food handlers on good sanitation practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of environmental sanitation; knowledge of diseases and their transmission and control.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to public health.
- Knowledge of current health code construction requirements and health regulations.
- Skill in conducting sanitation inspections and surveying.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and other city personnel.
- Ability to enforce regulations with fairness, firmness and tact.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely through oral and written communication.
- Ability to analyze sanitation defects and calculate costs involved in corrections.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical movements such as walking, climbing, crawling, kneeling, seeing, squatting, stooping and twisting of the body.
- Ability to operate a personal computer.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
A Bachelor's Degree in biological or physical science or related field. A minimum of two years’ experience in the field of public health. Must be a Texas Registered Professional Sanitarian or Texas Registered Professional Sanitarian in Training. Valid Texas Driver's License, Class C. Pre-employment screening includes a criminal background check, physical, drug and alcohol testing, and motor vehicle review.
How to Apply
Apply for this position on the City of Arlington Human Resources Website: