Company: County of Sonoma
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Date Posted: August 28, 2019
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $6,318 - $7,680/Monthly
Senior Environmental Health Specialist
About the Position
The County of Sonoma Department of Health Services (DHS) seeks experienced Registered Environmental Health Specialist candidates to fill a Senior Environmental Health Specialist (EHS) position.
What Makes Sonoma County a Great Choice
Working at the County of Sonoma offers expansive opportunities for growth and development, the ability to be a part of a challenging and rewarding work environment, and the satisfaction of knowing you're working to better our communities. You can also look forward to a competitive, total compensation package* including:
- An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $850 and ongoing education/training opportunities
- Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
- Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
- County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
- Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
- Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
Please note: This position requires current possession of a valid certificate of registration as an Environmental Health Specialist as required by the State of California's Health and Safety Code.
The Environmental Health & Safety Section of the Public Health Division is divided into two teams: Consumer Protection and Environmental Protection. The current opening is on the Consumer Protection team where the Senior EHS provides value-added customer service for community event programs and mobile food facilities. This position will develop cooperative working relationships with the community and other regulatory agencies to protect public health and promote sound environmental practices; provide information to the public regarding food safety, recreational health, and other Environmental Health programs; and develop and utilize complex problem-solving and exceptional customer service skills both in the field conducting inspections, and when assisting the public on a walk-in basis.
Additionally, the Senior EHS will:
- Serve as a subject matter specialist
- Assist with program development
- Act as a program lead, providing guidance to staff and assisting supervisors
- Facilitate the implementation of process and program improvements throughout the Environmental Health programs
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience working with community events and mobile food facilities
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- The ability to assess a situation and recommend appropriate solutions in a complex regulatory environment
- Experience as a lead worker
The State of California, Department of Public Health oversees the certification process for this position. Please visit the State of California Registered Environmental Health Specialist website for more information.
For more information & to apply online, visit www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org or call 707-565-2331. EOE Apply Now!
How to Apply
Applications are accepted on-line at www.yourpath2sonomacounty.org. Paper applications may be submitted by person, fax (707-565-3770), email, or through the mail. All applications and appropriate supplemental information as outlined in the job bulletin must be RECEIVED by the time and date specified on the first page of this job announcement.