Note: This course is currently only available to the retail food safety regulatory community with a .gov, .us, or .mil email address. If you are a retail food safety regulator without one of these email addresses please reach out to Deirdra.Holloway@fda.hhs.gov.
This five-day, virtual course explores the specific types of food processing in retail food establishments which are required by the FDA Food Code to have a variance and mandatory HACCP plan.
Topics will include:
- Use of Food Additives
- Reduced Oxygen Packaging
- Live Molluscan Shellfish Tanks
- Sprouted Seeds
- Processing and Packaging Juice
- Custom Processing of Animals
- Any other process determined by a Regulatory Authority to require a variance/HACCP plan
The course will focus on the microbiology of these various forms of food processing at retail, specific concerns for each process, and necessary controls for the hazards associated with each process. Emphasis will be placed on reduced oxygen packaging (ROP) in retail settings. The course will include practical evaluation of various food samples, verification and validation of HACCP plans, and approaches to conducting inspections.
- Mon, May 16, 2022 – Fri, May 20, 2022
- Mon, July 18, 2022 – Fri, July 22, 2022
- Mon, August 1, 2022 – Fri, August 5, 2022
Individual course listings have information regarding prerequisites.
*Note: Additional courses may be added throughout fiscal year. All course dates/locations are subject to change. Please visit the Pathlore LMS regularly for official course schedules and updates.
Registration information for each course can be found below.
- View the course announcement and review the details.
- Download the Registration Form for the course you'd like to attend. To fill out the registration form, you will have to download the PDF and open it in a PDF reader on your device.
- Complete and submit the course registration form to: ORA-OTED-Retail@fda.hhs.gov
- Fee: $0
Note: Registration does not guarantee admission into the course. All applicants will be notified at a future date of their status.
Course dates and times are subject to change. The most up-to-date information will be reflected in Pathlore. Please visit OTED's website to navigate to Pathlore, where you are also able to directly register for courses. For questions please contact Deirdra Holloway at Deirdra.Holloway@fda.hhs.gov
Mon, May 16, 2022 – Fri, May 20, 2022
Mon, July 18, 2022 – Fri, July 22, 2022
Mon, August 1, 2022 – Fri, August 5, 2022
*To fill out the registration form, you will have to download the PDF and open it in a PDF reader on your device.