This four-day, virtual course explores the specific types of food processing in retail food establishments which are required by the FDA Food Code to have a variance and mandatory HACCP plan.
Topics will include:
- Use of Food Additives
- Reduced Oxygen Packaging
- Live Molluscan Shellfish Tanks
- Sprouted Seeds
- Processing and Packaging Juice
- Custom Processing of Animals
- Any other process determined by a Regulatory Authority to require a variance/HACCP plan
The course will focus on the microbiology of these various forms of food processing at retail, specific concerns for each process, and necessary controls for the hazards associated with each process. Emphasis will be placed on reduced oxygen packaging (ROP) in retail settings. The course will include practical evaluation of various food samples, verification and validation of HACCP plans, and approaches to conducting inspections.
Please visit the Pathlore LMS regularly for official course schedules and updates.
Individual course listings have information regarding prerequisites.
*Note: Additional courses may be added throughout fiscal year. All course dates/locations are subject to change.
For more information on registering visit the following link:
Then complete and submit the course registration form to:
Note: Registration does not guarantee admission into the course. All applicants will be notified at a future date of their status.
For questions please contact Deirdra Holloway at Deirdra.Holloway@fda.hhs.gov
Applying for Travel Funding
- All courses are currently being held online
- FDA and AFDO Retail Program Standards Grant Program
- Questions about funding opportunities; email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (850) 583-4593