Company: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Location: Berkeley, CA
Date Posted: October 1, 2019
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Environmental, Health & Safety Division Director
About the Position
Environmental, Health & Safety Division Director - 87980
Berkeley Lab is seeking a results-driven Environmental, Health & Safety Division Director to lead the Lab’s EH&S Division and serve as a key member of the Laboratory Operations Leadership Team. As a leading stakeholder and collaborator with the research and development community, this critical role is responsible for providing leadership, technical direction, strategic oversight, and policy development that enables line management to maintain a safe workplace environment, promotes safety as an institutional core value, and ensures that Berkeley Lab’s scientific and technical research activities are conducted in compliance with applicable policies and regulations. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer/Deputy Lab Director, the EH&S Division Director will also actively support Lab-wide initiatives, especially our responsible stewardship of the Lab’s research, people and assets, and promote our values of diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as safety and security across the Lab.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, multidisciplinary research institution and further its work to strengthen our EH&S technical programs and expertise, develop innovative and efficient solutions to foster line management stewardship of EH&S, and promote a healthy work and safety culture for Berkeley Lab.
What You Will Do:
- Lead, direct, and oversee all EH&S operations, including accountability for the Waste Management, Radiation Protection, Environmental Services, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety, and Health Services functions, to maintain a safe and healthy environment for Laboratory employees, guests and visitors in support of the scientific mission of the Laboratory.
- Contribute as a member of the Operations Leadership Team providing leadership, guidance and support to Operations initiatives and cross-Division activities. Advise management on latest developments in all areas of responsibility, and on actions and progress towards meeting the goals and objectives in those areas. Lead by example to proactively promote principles of stewardship, safety, inclusion, diversity, equity and accountability.
- Conduct ongoing long-range planning to identify and implement new programs and policies to ensure compliance with changing governmental guidelines and regulations, achieve performance goals, and pursue best management practices. Develop and implement the Division’s short- and long-term strategic operating plans, management system, policy, procedures, and practices.
- In partnership with leadership, champion a meaningful safety culture for Berkeley Lab and in implementing that vision throughout the organization. Develop and implement Laboratory policies and procedures that ensure effective administration of safety programs.
- Proactively build partnership relationships with all levels of the Laboratory community, including effective collaboration with Department of Energy (DOE), external regulatory agencies, the general public, other National Laboratories, and University of California, to deliver quality and excellence in customer service.
- Partner effectively with other Berkeley Lab leaders to implement new or improve existing programs that cross Divisional lines consistent with strategic planning goals and initiatives. Ensure that the EH&S Division actively supports and is integrated with the Laboratory's scientific/technical research programs.
- Provide leadership and direction to fulfill the EH&S Division’s continuous process improvement program, including measurement systems, benchmarking, and surveys.
What is Required:
- Bachelors’ degree and 10+ years of progressive experience in a related EH&S discipline or engineering field, and/or equivalent experience and education.
- A minimum of 5 years in an operational management role in a research environment, preferably leading an EH&S or scientific organization.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing a complex organization, including organizational growth, as well as providing effective oversight and guidance of operational, people management and administrative matters. Experience hiring, developing, mentoring and coaching staff for high performance.
- Demonstrated record of integrating EH&S concepts and best practices into strategic business plans, and ability to lead and manage diverse EH&S disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively influence, negotiate, advise, translate and present to senior technical and administrative managers.
- Superior interpersonal skills to effectively build/maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including regulatory agencies, and the ability to collaborate at the highest level of management.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Advanced degree in a related field.
- Board certification in a related professional discipline (e.g., CIH, CSP, CHP, PE).
- Experience managing within a Federal contractor, government owned/contractor operated (GOCO) organization, and/or a union environment.
- Experience working within DOE programs related to safety, security and emergency response.
How to Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=170489 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."