Company: National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
Location: Denver, CO
Date Posted: October 21, 2019
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $45,000 - $55,000 DOE
About the Position
The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) is currently seeking an Editor/Copy Writer to join our team in Denver, CO.
NEHA' s mission is to advance the environmental health professional for the purpose of providing a healthful environment for all. Be part of an organization that supports thousands of members committed to ensuring that the air we breathe, food we eat, water we drink and play in, and the homes and buildings we live and work in are all safe to enjoy. Since 1937 NEHA has been at the crossroads wherever human health and the environment intersect. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, through grant and membership support, NEHA works with federal partners such as the EPA, CDC and FDA on critical and diverse issues such as climate change, food safety, water quality, preparedness and more.
About the Role
The Editor/Copy Writer is an editorial and copy resource specialist in writing, cataloging, and maintaining association publications; creates, writes, and edits publications, including articles, training materials, reports, manuscripts, and other materials; works with subject-matter experts to understand science-driven content; and synthesizes and reports out on research and evaluation data. This individual will remain current on new developments in technical writing, editing, and publishing.
What You’ll Do
- Copy-edit publications according to style guidelines
- Review content (print/online) and recommend revisions or changes
- Assemble course/learning content into an administrative portfolio
- Manage copy materials for projects
- Ensure consistency of glossary, key terms, chapters, headers, and other essential components
- Collaborate with graphic and instructional designers and authors to select images or infographics to clarify or amplify a publication’s objective
Writing Original Content (30%)
- Work with subject-matter experts to ensure common understanding of publications and related materials to be produced
- Write articles about various environmental health topics for online and print publication
- Synthesize and report out on research and evaluation data collected internally
- Ability to occasionally lift 25 lbs. or less
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Manual dexterity required for operating office equipment
- Ability to read required reports and computer screen
- Hearing required to interact with management and associates
Our Ideal Candidate
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, or related field. Master’s Degree in English, Communications or related field preferred. Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health or Public Health with technical writing and editing experience can be substituted for bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, or related field.
- At least three years of print and online writing/editing experience in a professional position
- Demonstrated experience writing and editing science and content-driven material for a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated experience in print layout and design
- Demonstrated experience in the identification and management of image resources and permissions
Skills and abilities:
- Ability to research, write, review/edit, and present written information in an organized, logical manner
- Ability to quickly understand and accurately communicate technical concepts
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully on a team
Preferred experience and skills:
- Experience in speech writing and presentation development
- Experience working with APA style
- Experience creating a storyline based on experiential content
- Understanding of adult learning principles and education
- Ability to read, write and edit in Spanish
How to Apply
What We Offer
The salary range for this position is $45,000 - $55,000 dependent on experience and qualifications.
We offer a generous benefits package including paid time off and health, dental, and vision plans with employee premiums paid 100% by the association. Our benefits also include a five percent of base salary employer contribution to 403b retirement plan; paid short and long-term disability plans and paid term life insurance. We offer workplace flexibility and a wellness program led by an employee committee that strives to inspire, create and maintain a workplace environment that supports all employees’ physical, mental, and social well-being.
When Considering Applicants
When considering applicants, we look for integrity, a vision for what is possible and a proven performance record, along with the education, experience and skills that match the position requirements.
Submit your resume, cover letter and at least two professional writing samples here.
Equal Opportunity Employer