Company: City of Berkeley
Location: Berkeley, CA
Date Posted: November 21, 2019
Application Deadline: December 9, 2019
Employment Type: Full time
Environmental Health Supervisor
About the Position
The City of Berkeley is seeking applicants for Environmental Health Supervisor. Under direction, the Environmental Health Supervisor supervises professional and support staff involved in environmental health, and vector control programs; performs related work as assigned. This is the supervisory level of the professional Environmental Health classification series. The incumbent assumes an active leadership role in environmental health program planning, development, implementation, and evaluation.
Typical Duties of an Environmental Health Supervisor include:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the Environmental Health Division;
- Participating in the preparation and administration of the divisions budget;
- Planning, organizing, assigning, directing, training, reviewing, and supervising the work of assigned staff;
- Developing training programs, operational procedures, and methods to evaluate the performance of the Environmental Health Division;
- Conferring with and providing professional assistance to City departments on environmental health issues;
- Directing complex special studies, surveys, inspections, investigations, and analytical studies; reviewing findings, and making recommendations;
- Reviewing staff reports and making field visits to ensure enforcement of sanitary codes and regulations;
- Consulting with professional and technical staff to resolve field problems; and performing the more complex and difficult inspections;
- Evaluating and determining appropriate action in cases of persistent sanitation violations and prepares cases for prosecution;
- Representing the City in contacts and meetings with other agencies and organizations; and making technical and/or educational presentations to the public;
- Preparing a variety of periodic, statistical and special reports related to areas of assignment, including correspondence, policy and procedures, training, and other written materials;
- Maintaining current knowledge of technology and technical advancements in the field of health, sanitation or a related biological field
Education Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college with major coursework in environmental health, sanitation or a related biological field. ANDExperience Four (4) years of experience equivalent to Registered Environmental Health Specialist in a public health agency. Lead level experience is highly desirable.
Must be willing to work such hours as are necessary to accomplish the job requirements. Must be willing to work with potential contact with toxic and hazardous materials. Must be able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of Berkeley to meet the program needs and to fulfill the job responsibilities. When driving on City business, the incumbent is required to maintain a valid California drivers license as well as a satisfactory driving record.
Must possess a valid Certificate of Registration as an Environmental Health Specialist in the State of California. Possession of a valid Certificate of Registration in the State of California as a Certified Technician in Vertebrate Vector Control and Terrestrial Invertebrate Vector Control Categories A, B, C, and D is desirable.
How to Apply
Applications are only accepted through the Ctiy of Berkeley website, found here: https://apptrkr.com/1718774