Company: RTI International
Location: Durham, NC
Date Posted: December 16, 2019
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Senior Environment Health and Safety Specialist
About the Position
The Senior EHS Specialist 2 is responsible for maintaining RTI’s environmental compliance programs, including hazardous waste, other chemical waste, and wastewater discharge programs in support of maintaining healthy, safe, and environmentally responsible laboratory and office environments.
- Oversee waste management program, including the proper characterization, transport, storage, labeling, vendor engagement and coordination, and documentation of managed waste streams.
- Support process of lab cleanouts and lab space decommissioning.
- Serve as primary point of contact with local and state regulators in areas of responsibility, including supporting regulatory inspections.
- Oversee hazardous waste regulated program tasks, including waste profile documentation, waste determinations, routine inspections and state inspections, manifest files, waste containers/labels, contingency plan, quick reference guide and other required documentation/records, lab compliance reviews with lab staff/management, waste summary data and EPA biennial hazardous waste report, sourcing and stocking waste containers and numerous waste labels, DOT related requirements including written hazmat security plan and hazardous materials registration.
- Oversee wastewater program, including permitting, meter calibrations, routine reporting, inspections, grease trap records, treat aqueous wastes for sewer disposal, maintain records, permit applications, work with lab/sampling vendors, and coordinate any non-routine discharges.
- Review and prepare documents related to SARA Tier II reporting.
- Support and/or consult with research staff regarding waste support activities. Review emerging waste handling needs including waste characterization, research SDSs and other resources, and coordinate follow-up actions as needed including new lab and waste stream fit-ups.
- Support RTI indoor health & environmental quality monitoring program, including IAQ, water quality monitoring, and keeping abreast of potential emerging risks.
- Support RTI’s biosafety program.
- Provide environment, health, and safety training to RTI staff as needed, including research staff, facilities staff, and others.
- Monitor incoming communication channels to EHS, including emails and request forms regarding questions, concerns, and service requests.
- Provide backup coverage for EHS colleagues as needed when they are on leave.
- Assist facilities staff on waste issues as needed and assist with incidents around campus.
- Keep current on environmental regulations and attend training and seminars to maintain subject matter expertise and certifications.
- Develop and maintain applicable written environmental programs, policies and procedures including but not limited to: Waste Management, Spill Response, Storm Water, etc.
- Bachelor’s in Environmental Science, Occupational Safety, Safety Sciences, Chemistry, or similar technical degree + 10 yrs of experience, or Master’s in similar field + 6 yrs of experience.
- Experience maintaining environmental programs and conducting environmental audits in a research lab environment.
- CHMM preferred. CBSP, CIH, or CSP a plus.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to travel several times throughout the year to domestic and international locations and stay in those locations for multiple weeks.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to obtain proper security clearances as noted by contracts.
- Environmental Compliance, Program Management, Risk Management/Risk Control, and Regulatory Compliance knowledge and skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Ability to interact, counsel, partner and communicate effectively at all organizational levels, including senior management, operations management and other business and department leaders.
- Results oriented; takes initiative, proactive and leads by example.
- Exercise sound judgement, balance business needs and legal requirements, develop and articulate business-minded alternatives and solutions and achieve business objectives.
How to Apply
Please apply on website www.rti.org