Company: City of Plano
Location: Plano, TX
Date Posted: December 26, 2019
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $56,298.69 - 81,637.59/annually
Environmental Health Supervisor
At the City of Plano, our values make us who we are and guide us as we SERVE our city. As members of Team Plano, our organizational Values (what is most important to us) make up the acronym, SERVE (Stewardship Engaged Respectful Visionary Excellence).
The City of Plano is seeking candidates for a supervisory role in our Environmental Health & Sustainability Department!
The Environmental Health Supervisor is responsible for coordinating and supervising the food protection program; swimming pool program, and body art program property for compliance with City Environmental Health Ordinances.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Coordinates and supervises daily work activity of assigned environmental health staff; evaluates routine inspections performed by field staff; reviews customer service provided by staff.
- Investigates and conducts quality control inspections of food service establishments, schools, daycare centers, hospitals, nursing homes, and other residential, commercial, or industrial property for compliance with health ordinances.
- Implements the Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Point approach to the food protection program.
- Investigates and inspects swimming pools for compliance with City ordinances.
- Provides field training to staff; provides guidance and code interpretation assistance for staff in various programs; verifies department staff has proper equipment to perform field work.
- Makes recommendations to both public and private industry representatives on methods/techniques to modify daily operations in accordance with current health codes.
- Coordinates work activity, as required, with other Federal, State or local agencies.
- Maintains records of inspections, records of actions taken; issues citations as required; prepares documentation; and represents the City in court cases and hearings when necessary.
- Provides information for press releases on environmental health topics as needed.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of: Official health records and statistic filing, release and reporting methods; health and safety standards applicable to the handling, storage, and preparation of food; design, operation and maintenance of swimming pools, and inspections of body art facilities.
Skill in: Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing; providing effective management and supervision; applying established testing procedures for extracting food samples; using sampling and testing equipment.
Education: Bachelor's degree, in Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Physical Sciences, Environmental Engineering, or related field. A Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health is preferred.
Experience: Five (5) years of environmental health inspection experience, including one (1) year of supervisory experience.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements
Licenses and Certifications: Texas Class C driver's license (must obtain within 30 days of hire per state law). Must be a Registered Professional Sanitarian in the State of Texas. Must be Registered Environmental Health Specialist through the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) within six months of assignment to position. Certified Code Enforcement Officer in Texas required within one year of assignment to position.
Conditions of Employment: Must pass a drug test, driver license check, criminal history background check, periodic CJIS background check (for positions requiring access into Police buildings) and social security number verification check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to work in the field inspecting housing units, including traversing uneven terrain, to operate a motor vehicle, and tools and equipment, and to visit various City sites; vision to inspect assigned facilities, to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. The job involves fieldwork requiring frequent walking conducting inspections to identify problems or hazards. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator, to operate standard office equipment, to turn faucets on and off, manipulate door knobs, conduct tests and to operate tools and equipment. Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information, obtain samples, and set up equipment. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 35 pounds.
Employees partly work in the office and partly in the field and are exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives and contractors in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.