Company: City of Garland
Location: Garland, TX
Date Posted: February 3, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full time
Code Compliance Director
About the Position
Responsible for managing all aspects of the Code Compliance Department. Also responsible for directing the personnel and budget of the department to meet the vision, mission and goals of the City of Garland under the direction of the Building Official.
Financial & Budget Responsibility: Department Budget: Create and administer departmental budget; advise Building Official on budget issues as they arise. City Budget: With Building Official, annually present newly developed departmental budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Code Compliance Department.
- Establish priorities for the department and alter priorities as demands arise.
- Schedule and coordinate periodic staff meetings.
- Create and track budget performance indicators.
- Brief the Managing Director on status of indicators versus annual goals and objectives.
- Prepare proposed budgets from all Code Compliance Department divisions.
- Track expense reports of all units on a regular basis.
- Assess staffing needs through analysis of organizational structure, management and leadership development.
- Coordinate and track all continuing education and training efforts.
- Provide updates to Senior Management, City Council and Housing Standards Board.
- Maintain effective public relations and handle community issues in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Represent the City at local, state and national organizations and at professional activities to maintain the image of the City and to create public support for departmental programs.
- Remain abreast of new developments in Federal, State and local laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Public Administration, or Environmental Health
- 7 years of experience in Code Compliance
- 2 years supervisory experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Master’s degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Public Administration or Environmental Health
- 7 – 10 years experience in the Code Enforcement field
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of codes administered by Code Compliance
- Extensive knowledge of construction principles and practices
- Skill in Microsoft Office (including: Access, Excel, Outlook, Word)
- Ability to evaluate and plan departmental performance
- Strong ability to resolve citizen conflicts and concerns
Licenses and Certifications
- Valid Class C Texas driver's license
- Code Enforcement Officer certification and license preferred, but not required