Company: Bernalillo County Planning and Development Services Department
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Date Posted: February 18, 2020
Application Deadline: March 5, 2020
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: $43,825.60 - $58,635.20 Annual
Health Protection Scientist I
About the Position
Under general supervision, this position class will perform professional level inspection, education, and compliance services for a broad variety of environmental health codes. Will work with diverse populations and provide excellent customer service and will respond to the public, customers and other county employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with on-site facility inspections, under guidance from Heath Protection Scientist II, will conduct field investigations and ensure compliance with applicable rules, regulations and codes; authorize the issuance of permits to meet code and sanitation compliance.
- Enforce the laws and regulations governing public swimming pools, food processing establishments, food service establishments, solid waste, health and sanitation and noise.
- Receive and investigate routine environmental complaints and recommend corrective action plans; develop and prepare written recommendations outlining corrective action and/or proper methods to protect public health.
- Collect field samples, environmental/public health related data and/or information for laboratory or trend analysis;
- Develop and prepare written recommendations outlining corrective action and/or methods to protect public health.
- Prepare and present reports of analysis information and may present like findings to select clients, outside agencies, forums, to also include the general public and other county departments.
- Perform site visits and all types of inspections routinely conducted by the health protection team; provide operational plan reviews for food service and food processing establishments.
- Prepare and coordinate cases that are scheduled for court hearing.
- Interpret environmental health ordinances, rules and procedures and respond to questions from the public.
- Develop, conduct and evaluate public health education regarding the prevention of public health diseases.
- Work in cooperation with private and governmental agencies to strengthen environmental health practices aimed at protecting public health and safety.
- Prepare reports and correspondence and maintain records for inspections and investigations.
- Perform other job related duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor degree, from an accredited institution, in a physical, natural or environmental science or relevant science field plus two (2) years of related experience in environmental health, code enforcement, food protection and/or inspection. OR a combination of post-secondary education and/or experience totaling six (6) years' experience in environmental health, code enforcement, food protection and/or inspection.
- Health Protection Scientist Level I requires advanced certification from National Swimming Pool Foundation as a certified pool operator obtained within nine (9) months from date of hire.
- Successful completion of Food Protection Manager Certification of equivalent within nine (9) months from date of hire.
- General knowledge of environmental health issues; ability to use knowledge of various scientific disciplines to identify and minimize hazards.
- Ability to interpret, analyze and implement state and local regulations relating to environmental and public health.
- Able to read blueprints and review site plans.
- Knowledge in conducting food safety and commercial swimming pool inspections.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effective on multiple concurrent assignments,
- Ability to maintain objectivity and confidentiality in dealing with a variety of complex and potentially sensitive projects.
- Proficient in English and have the ability to prepare and deliver presentations.
- Knowledge of basic microbiology and chemistry principles.
- Bilingual in Spanish/Chinese preferred.
How to Apply