Company: Georgia Dept of Public Health
Location: Columbus, GA
Date Posted: March 3, 2020
Application Deadline: March 30, 2020
Employment Type: Full time
District Environmental Health Director
About the Position
The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) is the lead agency entrusted by the people of the state of Georgia with the ultimate responsibility for the health of communities and the entire population. The agency is seeking a highly qualified candidate for the position of District Environmental Health Director within the West Central Health District, Columbus, Georgia.
- Under broad supervision, manages a comprehensive district wide environmental public health regulatory and service program.
- Supervises a multi-faceted environmental health workforce that performs complex regulatory compliance, evaluation, and monitoring functions.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures governing food service facilities, land use (on-site sewage management, portable sanitation, non-public water), tourist accommodations, public swimming pool, spa and recreational water parks, home environmental surveys (healthy homes, lead, radon), rabies control, vector surveillance and control, and environmental health complaints that are consistent with the DPH environmental health program.
- Coordinates district wide EH programs with the DPH-EH program and other state and federal agencies and establishes environmental health program goals and objectives.
- Functions as a technical expert to staff and others, including the District Health Director, Boards of Health, federal, state, county, municipal, industrial officials, consultants, and the public.
- Provides technical training to environmental health specialists, other professional staff and the public.
- Collaborates with the State Environmental Section to implement programs district wide
- Creates and maintains a high-performance environment characterized by positive leadership and a strong team orientation.
- Manages human resource and employee relations functions.
- Develops short-term (one year) and long-term (three-five year) goals and strategies for the district environmental health program.
- Directs environmental health programs for the district that provide technical assistance and expertise to county EHS, government agencies, corporations, contractors and the general public.
- Directs the preparation and administration of the district environmental health program budget and the coordination of funding sources.
- Directs the recommendation, preparation and/or drafting of proposed laws, regulations and rules consistent with administrative procedures and the DPH.
- Directs the evaluation of technical documents, environmental and public health issues, and facilities using sound engineering and scientific principles.
- Provides technical expertise and testimony regarding environmental health issues in the community.
- Interacts with all levels of local, state and federal governments/agencies and officials in a way that promotes respect, encourages cooperation and contributes to excellent performance.
- Maintains a consistent, high quality, customer focused orientation when conducting business and providing services or products to clients, general public and other internal/external customers.
- Has knowledge of EH Emergency Response plans and ESF 8 responsibilities, and the Incident Command Structure.
- Maintains knowledge of current policies, laws, trends and developments in the field of environmental health and applies pertinent new knowledge to performance of other responsibilities.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university which included completion of 27 semester hours (or 40 quarter hours) in laboratory science (e.g., chemistry, biology, geology, physics, etc.) AND Four years of full time professional level experience equivalent to a PH Envir Compl Specialist 4 (RCP123), Two years of which as a lead worker or at a supervisory level
Three years as a County Mgr. PH Environ Hlth (RCM060) or position equivalent.
Current registration as a registered environmental health specialist or registered sanitarian by the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA), or the recognized credentialing board of a state or country having equivalent standards as NEHA.
Completion of a Masters Degree in Environmental Health, Public Health or related field.
Completion of Managers or Leadership training program
Completion of NIMS ICS 100, 200, 300/400, 700, 800
Certification as a Food Safety Manager (CFSM) and holds a current Georgia Standardized Food Service Establishment Inspection Officer Certificate
Holds a current Georgia Level II Inspector Certification for the On-Site Sewage Management Program
Certification as a Pool Operator (CPO)
How to Apply
In order to successfully apply for a position; the hiring agency requires interested applicants to complete the GA Department of Public Health’s Online Employment Application.
This job application can be found at www.dph.georgia.gov. Click on "About DPH" and then “Careers” and locate this position, click “Apply” and begin your application.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY FOR THIS POSITION AT https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/georgiadph