Company: Southwest District Health
Location: Caldwell, Idaho
Date Posted: September 20, 2020
Application Deadline: October 1, 2020
Position Type: Full Time
Salary: $22.19 - $27.74 Hourly
Environmental Health Specialist 2
About the Position
Southwest District Health is recruiting for an Environmental Health Specialist 2 for our Caldwell office. This position will work on general environmental health issues with an emphasis in septic and land development programs. This position will require registration with the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) as a registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitation (REHS/RS). Incumbents who do not have this certification will be designated as an Environmental Health Specialist 2 (Underfill) until this certification is obtained.
This position also includes a comprehensive benefit package including: PERSI Retirement Benefits, Medical/Dental Benefits and Life Insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents. Paid time off includes vacation and sick leave that begin accruing immediately upon hire and Holiday pay.
Example of Duties
- Inspects, evaluates, and advises on environmental health concerns, enforces environmental health laws.
- Evaluates soil types for placement and sizing of individual sewage disposal systems; reviews and permits the installation of new and replacement systems; and consults and provides information to land owners and developers for well and septic placement when planning a subdivision or lot splits.
- Evaluates environmental health conditions through inspections, surveys, and investigations of food program establishments, day care facilities, water supplies, hazardous materials spills, sewage disposal systems, land development and recreation sites for compliance with laws, regulations, and standards.
- Conducts tests and analyzes results to determine levels of pollution or contamination; operates and maintains specialized testing equipment and detection devices.
- Determines existence and cause of violations and recommends corrective actions, solutions, or alternatives for compliance with environmental health laws.
- Enforces compliance through warning letters, citations, embargoes, permit suspensions and revocations.
- Insures corrective action is taken and reviews plans and proposals for permits.
- Consults with local, state, and federal officials in drafting and promoting adoption of regulations and policies for environmental practices.
- Provides technical assistance regarding control and correction of environmental practices.
- Promotes public awareness and acceptance of environmental laws, regulations, and standards.
- Analyzes and comments on environmental assessments, policies, regulations, and legislation.
- Analyzes plans and specifications for subdivisions, land development, individual and community water and sewage disposal systems, and food establishments for compliance with sanitation standards.
Bachelor's degree in Health Sciences OR successful completion of a college level algebra or higher math course and 30 semester/45 quarter hours in the basic sciences, i.e. biology, chemistry, physics, or other physical sciences as well as sanitary engineering or environmental engineering. At least one year of public health experience with an agency to include inspecting facilities and enforcing ordinances, rules, and statutes in at least one of the following programs: food, on-site sewage, day care, swimming pools, nuisance complaints, solid waste, home loan surveys, public drinking water, or vector control. Must have a valid Idaho Driver's License.
How to Apply
This position will be filled from the State of Idaho hiring register.
If you are interested in applying, applications can be submitted on-line at www.dhr.idaho.gov.
Here is the link for your convenience: