Company: George Mason University
Location: Fairfax, VA
Date Posted: January 8, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Employment Type: Full Time
Associate Director, Center for Climate Change Communication
About the Position
The George Mason University Department of Communication, Center for Climate Change Communication invites applications for an Associate Director. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Center:
The mission of the Center for Climate Change Communication is to develop and apply social science insights to help society make informed decisions that will stabilize the earth’s life-sustaining climate, and prevent further harm from climate change. The center currently has six major program areas: public opinion research; climate journalism; health professionals as climate communicators; detecting and debunking misinformation; conservatives as climate communicators; and a climate communication internship program with the National Park Service.
About the Position:
The Associate Director will work closely with the Center Director to refine the strategic focus of the Center as needed, and to ensure that the operations, activities and resources of the Center are advancing the Center’s mission to the extent possible. Together, the Director and the Associate Director will form the strategic and operational leadership team of the Center. Reporting to the Director, the Associate Director will be responsible for overall support of the mission, program development and fund raising, program management, public relations and marketing, communication, supervision, facilities, information systems, and administrative advocacy.
The Associate Director will advance the Center’s mission by:
- Managing day-to-day activities and operations of the Center;
- Ensuring that Center fiscal resources are utilized strategically and in compliance with university regulations;
- Facilitating effective collaboration between the Center’s programs, between the Center and other parts of the university, and between the Center and organizations external to the university;
- Leading the Center’s development and fundraising activities;
- Leading the Center’s marketing and communication activities;
- Overseeing program management and reporting to program sponsors;
- Overseeing the administrative infrastructure of the Center including IT and financial management support systems;
- Overseeing the financial operations and human resource requirements of the Center, including hiring, performance development and counseling;
- Building and sustaining a sense of community and engagement among Center faculty, staff, students and collaborators.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Progressively responsible management and leadership experience, including proven effectiveness in the use of audience research and strategic communication to advance important societal goals;
- A track record of fund raising effectiveness in support of applied research and/or strategic communication initiatives;
- A solid understanding of climate change, including its causes, impacts and risk management options.
How to Apply
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA39Hz at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, CV, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.