Company: National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
Location: Washington, DC
Date Posted: April 12, 2021
Application Deadline: May 12, 2021
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: $45,000 to $60,000 DOE
Administrative & Communications Support
About the Position
The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) is currently seeking an Administrative & Communications Support professional to join our team. Must live within a commutable distance of the Washington D.C. metro area. The position is primarily telecommuting; however, once business travel resumes, weekly D.C. staff meetings and partner meetings may require frequent face-to-face attendance.
NEHA' s mission is to advance the environmental health professional for the purpose of providing a healthful environment for all. Be part of an organization that supports thousands of members committed to ensuring that the air we breathe, food we eat, water we drink and play in, and the homes and buildings we live and work in are all safe to enjoy. Since 1937 NEHA has been at the crossroads wherever human health and the environment intersect. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, through grant and membership support, NEHA works with federal partners such as the EPA, CDC, and FDA on critical and diverse issues such as climate change, food safety, water quality, preparedness, and more.
About the Role
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position based in the D.C. metro area-based that reports directly to the Director, Programs and Partnership Development (PPD). The Administrative & Communications Support person is responsible for ensuring the department complies with all internal and external deadlines through effective handling and management of calendars, tasks, and communications support. This includes tracking funder reporting cycles for PPD programs and projects, program expense tracking, manage regular internal progress reporting. Occasional work on nights and weekends will be required. This is a fast-paced, highly visible position within the organization that includes interactions with senior leadership, executives, and NEHA partner organizations like the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and the Food & Drug Administration.
What You Will Do
- Supports PPD Director to coordinate department workflow
- Handles administrative detail on projects as needed
- Supports PPD Director with task & calendar management to ensure all tasks are completed on time
- Supports strategic planning activities for the department
- Tracks projects and supports clear and open communication
- Helps document workflow and procedures to ensure consistency in department
- Manages department service email accounts to ensure communication functions are completed
- Supports PPD Director with critical email communications
- Composes correspondence related to projects
- Researches and drafts abstract reports
- Researches data for speaking engagements and infographics
- Develops presentations
- Submits abstracts and speaking requests
- Manages PPD Director’s calendar
- Prepares meeting agendas
- Acts as recording secretary; prepares meeting minutes, tracks action items, manages MS Planner, and other project management software tasks.
- Works with leadership to schedule meetings and follow-up meetings
- Arranges travel for department leadership, staff, subject matter experts, and program participants
- Prepares expense reports
- Keeps current travel calendar and contact information for department
- Works to compile department data on trainings, websites, etc.
- Supports development of quarterly department reports/presentations for all projects
- Repeated lifting of 35 to 50 lbs. can be expected as part of the shipping process
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Manual dexterity required for operating office equipment
- Ability to read required reports and computer screen
- Hearing required to interact with management and associates
Our Ideal Candidate
Education and experience:
- Customer service experience (required)
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office 365, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Teams (Required)
- Excellent writing and correspondence skills required
- 3+ years’ work experience in a professional work environment
- College degree preferred (public health and business degrees a plus), but competency-based experience accepted
- Experience with non-profits or government a plus
- Some work-related travel should be expected
- Account receivable experience is expected
- Must be detail-oriented, proficient in time management, and able to work in fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus
- Proficiency in WordPress, Microsoft Flow Automations, MS Planner, etc. a plus
What we Offer
The salary range for this position is 45-60k DOE.
We offer a generous benefits package including paid time off and health, dental, and vision plans with employee premiums paid 100% by the association. Our benefits also include a five percent of base salary employer contribution to 403b retirement plan; paid short and long-term disability plans, and paid term life insurance. We offer workplace flexibility, including telework and a wellness program led by an employee committee that strives to inspire, create, and maintain a workplace environment that supports physical, mental, and social well-being.
When Considering Applicants
We look for integrity, a vision for what is possible, and a proven performance record, along with the education, experience and skills that match the position requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
NEHA is an equal opportunity employer which is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe diversity strengthens our organization, enriches its corporate culture, and favorably influences our member services. We believe in DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion).