American Intersociety Academy for the Certification of Sanitarians (AIACS) Lapel Pin

AIACS Lapel Pin

The American Academy of Sanitarians had its beginning in November 1956 when the Sanitarians Joint Council held an organizational meeting at the American Public Health Association conference in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The professionals who made up the Sanitarians Joint Council were representatives from three associations whose memberships embraced most sanitarians in the country. These organizations were the American Public Health Association, the International Association of Milk, Food, and Environmental Sanitarians (later called the International Association for Food Protection), and the National Association of Sanitarians (later called the National Environmental Health Association).

The American Intersociety Academy for the Certification of Sanitarians (AIACS) was formally incorporated in Indiana on March 14, 1966. The name of the AIACS was changed to the American Academy of Sanitarians in 1975. 

The 12 founding members of AIACS were:

Harold S. Adams
A. Harry Bliss
Emil T. Chanlett
E.E. Diddams
B. Russell Franklin
Larry J. Gordon
William V. Hickey
William C. Miller, Jr.
A. Faegin Parrish
Verne C. Reierson
Edwin L. Ruppert
Darold W. Taylor

This lapel pin was a gift from Larry Gordon, MS, MPH, DHL (Hon.), one of the founding members of AIACS and retired New Mexico Cabinet Secretary for Health and Environment.


NEHA History Project

Back to the NEHA Virtual Museum Webpage