Environmental Health Leadership Academy
NEHA Seeks Experienced Environmental Health Professionals Who Aspire to Become Future Leaders
The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA), with funding support from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has developed a new leadership training academy for environmental health professionals. NEHA seeks a cohort of 16 environmental health professionals to participate in the Environmental Health Leadership Academy.
This 12-month program will commence at the NEHA 2021 Virtual Annual Educational Conference (AEC) Three-Part Virtual Series and conclude at the 2022 AEC. This intensive, interactive program focuses on management and leadership skill-building, successful leadership strategies, community partnership, emergency management, and other tools to better prepare the environmental health leaders.
Beginning in July 2021, selected participants will be required to meet virtually on a monthly basis via 4-hour virtual modules to learn and collaborate with other Environmental Health Leadership Academy peers. In addition, there will be monthly assignments to be completed and one-on-one meetings with a mentor. Admission into the leadership academy will be competitive. To be considered, an application must be completed and submitted to NEHA by Friday, June 25, 2021.
What Are the Criteria for Applicants?
- Full-time employee of a public health or environmental health agency/organization at the state, tribal, local, or territorial level.
- Demonstrated commitment to a career in environmental health.
- Commitment to completing the 12-month program (i.e., attend the NEHA 2021 and 2022 AECs, participate in group discussions, complete assigned tasks, etc.).
- Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS) credential is preferred, although not required.
What Are Some of the Training Modules?
- Managing You
- Assessing Environmental Health Risks
- Communications Skills
- Strengthen, Support, and Mobilize Communities and Partnerships to Ensure Equity
- Environmental Health Interventions
- Emergency Management
- Build and Maintain a Strong Organizational Infrastructure
- Improve and Innovate Through Evaluation, Research, and Quality Improvement
- Building a Diverse and Skilled Workforce
- Performance Management
What Is the Selection Process?
Submitting an application does not indicate acceptance into the program. Each completed application will be reviewed and evaluated using an objective, weighted system assessing the following:
- Applicant background
- Credentials, certifications, and degrees
- Personal statement
- Letter of support
- Commitment to the program
- Experiences against the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the program
What Is the Cost of the Leadership Academy?
The cost of the program is $1,200. Need-based scholarships are available between the amounts of $200 and $800. The scholarship amounts will be based on responses given in the application regarding the need for financial assistance. There is no travel expected throughout the 12-month virtual program. The closing session, however, will be held in-person at the NEHA 2022 AEC. Applicants will be expected to cover all costs associated with registration, travel, and lodging accommodations for this event.
The application period is open. The last day to apply is Friday, June 25, 2021.
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status once the admissions committee makes their recommendation. Notification is anticipated to occur at the latest by Wednesday, July 7, 2021.