Company: National Environmental Health Association (NEHA)
Location: Washington, DC or Denver, CO
Date Posted: May 24, 2021
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: $60,000 to $70,000 DOE
Marketing and Communications Specialist
About the Position
The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) is currently seeking a Marketing and Communications Specialist to join our team. Must live within a commutable distance of Denver, CO or Washington, D.C.
NEHA' s mission to build, sustain, and empower an effective environmental health workforce. Be part of an organization that supports thousands of members committed to ensuring that the air we breathe, food we eat, water we drink and play in, and the homes and buildings we live and work in are all safe to enjoy. Since 1937 NEHA has been at the crossroads wherever human health and the environment intersect. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, through grant and membership support, NEHA works with federal partners such as the EPA, CDC and FDA on critical and diverse issues such as climate change, food safety, water quality, preparedness and more.
About the Role
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will serve as an expert in marketing, communications, and technical aspects to assist with development and promotion of project work and outcomes through various platforms, including recruitment of applicants and participants in a retail food safety program. Work includes development and promotion of digital and print materials on public health issues specifically regarding food safety and the reduction of foodborne and waterborne illnesses.
What We Offer
The salary for this position is $60,000-70,000.
We offer a generous benefits package including paid time off and health, dental, and vision plans with employee premiums paid 100% by the association. Our benefits also include a five percent of base salary employer contribution to 403b retirement plan; paid short and long-term disability plans and paid term life insurance. We offer workplace flexibility including telework and a wellness program led by an employee committee that strives to inspire, create and maintain a workplace environment that supports physical, mental, and social well-being.
What You Will Do
- Identify, develop and execute communications strategy for publicizing project work, outcomes, and recruitment
- Write, edit, and develop, communication materials in support of communications designed to promote project mission, values, standards, strategic initiatives, project objectives, and other critical information with association members, stakeholders, and the public
- Creates and executes marketing campaigns for various communication channels including online advertising and Search Engine Optimization (SEO), direct mail, email marketing, conferences and events.
- Selects and manages relationships with marketing vendors.
- Stays informed of changes and trends in the marketing environment.
- Manage the sharing and distribution of public health communications on multiple channels, including but not limited to email, newsletters, podcasts, webinars, videos and webpage postings
- Provide communication advice and counsel to internal team regarding critical public health issues and opportunities that require strategic communications solutions
- Design printed and digital materials that educate about project work and distribute them to association members and the public
- Support departments in designing engaging replicable templates for vendor and jurisdictional facing meetings and events related to project work
- Perform periodic needs assessments to continually improve the method of delivery, efficiency, and effectiveness of messaging tactics; analyze current programs and initiatives and determine how health communication efforts can be changed for better results
- Conduct research with leadership, functional teams and prepare communications based on aggregate research
- Work collaboratively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to achieve association and project goals
- Maintain consistent messaging and enforce branding guidelines across public platforms
- Always maintain a high degree of confidentiality due to access to sensitive information
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to occasionally lift 25 lbs. or less.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Manual dexterity required for operating office equipment.
- Ability to read required reports and computer screen.
- Hearing required to interact with management and associates.
Our Ideal Candidate
Education and experience:
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university or an equivalent combination of education and experience in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience
- Advanced expertise with Adobe Creative Suite including Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and In-Design, Canva, Google Suite, website/application development and design and Microsoft Office
- Creative, conversational writing style with the ability to invest association culture into all messaging
- Experience managing and implementing marketing campaigns and initiatives
- Working knowledge of graphic design and content creation
- A passion for marketing, communications, and public health
Skills, abilities, and character:
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Copy writing and editing experience and skills
- Basic knowledge of HTML and/or basic functioning of websites
When Considering Applicants
When considering applicants, we look for integrity, a vision for what is possible and a proven performance record, along with the education, experience and skills that match the position requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
NEHA is an equal opportunity employer which is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe diversity strengthens our organization, enriches its corporate culture and favorably influences our member services. We believe in DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion).