Company: Contra Costa County Health Services
Location: Concord, CA
Date Posted: August 27, 2021
Application Deadline: September 17, 2021
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: $4,736 - $5,757 / Monthly
Environmental Health Technician
About the Position
The Contra Costa County Health Services Environmental Health Division currently has one vacancy within their Land Use Program located in Concord, CA.
Environmental Health Technicians inspect and investigate potentially unsanitary conditions not requiring enforcement by a registered Environmental Health Specialist. These conditions are generally covered and enforced under solid waste ordinances regarding hazardous property conditions arising from excessive accumulation of garbage, debris and human and animal waste.
Contra Costa Environmental Health is a diverse, multi-disciplined division responsible for a variety of programs including Consumer Protection, Recreational Health, Land Use and Solid Waste.
We are looking for someone who:
- Can communicate effectively with the public and outside agencies
- Has excellent interpersonal skills with a strong ability to work in both an independent and team environment
- Can research, read and interpret laws and regulations
- Understands the principles of city and county code enforcement
- Is honest, reliable and trustworthy
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Conducting investigations to determine if violations of health ordinances exist
- Advising violators on code requirements to gain compliance
- Gathering violation evidence
- Preparing reports, letters and notices of violation
- Entering data and reports into databases
- Attending meetings with other agencies and the community
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will work in an engaging and fast-paced environment
- You will be challenged and have a variety of work
- You will collaborate with other enforcement agencies
- You will be part of a diverse workforce
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- You may be required to work as a disaster service worker
- You may deal with difficult people
- There is a high complaint volume
- Decision Making: Choosing optimal courses of action in a timely manner
- Reading Comprehension: Understanding and using written information
- General Physical Ability: Using strength, endurance, flexibility, balance and coordination
- Legal & Regulatory Navigation: Understanding, interpreting and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations
- Professional & Technical Expertise: Applying technical subject matter to the job
- Safety Focus: Showing vigilance and care in identifying and addressing health risks and safety hazards
- Adaptability: Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires
- Displaying Ownership and Accountability: Holding self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely and cost-effective results
- Handling Stress: Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge or adversity
- Professional Integrity & Ethics: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles and personal accountability
- Oral Communication: Engaging effectively in dialogue
- Building & Maintaining Relationships: Establishing rapport and maintaining mutually productive relationships
- Handling & Resolving Conflict: Managing interpersonally strained situations
- Teamwork: Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Valuing Diversity: Appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace
- License Required: Possession of a valid California motor vehicle operator's license. Out-of-state license will be accepted during the application process.
- Education: Possession of a high school diploma, GED equivalency, or a high school proficiency certificate.
- Experience: Two years of full-time or its equivalent experience enforcing codes or ordinances in a public agency.
How to Apply
To read the complete job description and apply, please visit the website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/contracosta/jobs/3204071/environmental-health-technician?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs or our Careers page at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/contracosta.