Company: Town of Reading
Location: Reading, MA
Date Posted: September 14,, 2021
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: $97,188 - $111,657 annually
About the Position
The Town of Reading is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Health Director. The Town has created a new independent Public Health Department to be led by the Health Director as part of the Senior Management team, along with eight other Town Department Heads. The Health Director reports directly to the Town Manager administratively and to the Board of Health for policy direction. Town Meeting has recently funded the new department under the budget umbrella of Public Safety with a progressive look to the future, and the Health Director will work closely with both the Fire Chief and Police Chief on matters ranging from emergency management to mental health. The Health Director leads a team of public health professionals to ensure compliance with state statutes and local bylaws and regulations as well as public health initiatives to inform and educate the community and ensure the public health and welfare of the Town of Reading. The Health Director may be involved in regionalization and resource sharing discussions in the future.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops public health goals and implements strategies to protect the health of the community.
- Advances current behavioral health models as necessary to promote wellness of the community.
- Employs environmental health principles as necessary to prevent the public from exposure to hazardous substances in the air, water, soil, and food.
- Supports Board of Health responsibilities by participation in all meetings, assisting in agenda development and coordination, and reporting performance metrics to the Board on a regular basis. Identifies areas of concern to the Board for policy review and action.
- Manages the enforcement of state and local public health laws and rules and regulations; performs field inspections to assure compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Manages the review process of plans for: new food service establishments; subsurface sewage disposal; private well installations; swimming pool construction and others.
- Manages the inspection of restaurants and other food handling and processing establishments, approving or disapproving new or renewal license application; inspects retail convenience stores and other areas required by law; Inspects public swimming pools.
- Plans and conducts environmental investigations; initiates remedial and enforcement procedures as necessary; maintains inspection records and prepares required or associated work as necessary.
- Oversees complaints through investigation and evaluation of alleged nuisances pertaining to drinking water, stagnant water, dumping, sewage, inspection and rodent control, toxic materials, and other recognized hazards to public health; explains regulations and educates the public concerning permits and other matters.
- Represents the Town in Public Health Emergency Preparedness Region 3b and regionally works/enhances emergency preparedness plans.
- Provides public education as appropriate in matters of public health through public presentations, meeting participation and relevant materials composition and/or dissemination; develops, implements and/or oversees department projects and programs e.g. community health fairs, flu clinics, etc.
- Collaborates with a wide range of stakeholders in delivering public health services and foster relationships with community partners to advance public health goals. Participates in Town of Reading public meetings.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of public health and related issues, laws, regulations and requirements through continuing education, maintaining effective, efficient, current operations and records to achieve department and town wide goals; Informs the Board of Health of problems affecting public health; regularly reports the health conditions of the town to state and local agencies and civic organizations.
- This position is responsible for supervision of Public Health staff.
- Supervisor of full-time and part-time staff including but not limited to: public health nurses; qualified health inspectors; and others.
This is a 37.5 hours per week full time position, with the potential of a four-day work week Monday through Thursday. Additional night meetings will also be required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health or a related field; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in public health or comparable private sector work, including supervisory experience; three years of experience with food inspection and septic systems; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification as a Registered Sanitarian/Registered Environmental Health Specialist required within 12 months of appointment.
- Certification as a Health Officer by the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Health Officers, Lead Determination License, Licensed Soil Evaluator, Registered Certified Pool Operator, HACCP certification in risk control food establishments and Food Manager’s Certification, or the ability to achieve these certifications/ licenses as needed within 12 months of hire. Housing Certification (HUD) desirable.
Applicant should be able to meet the requirements of the position as outlined in the attached position description for Health Director. Applicant should state education, training and experience which they feel has provided them with the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted in the Human Resources Office, 16 Lowell Street, Reading, MA 01867 and online at www.readingma.gov until filled.