Company: City of Wauwatosa
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Date Posted: October 13, 2021
Application Deadline: October 25, 2021
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: The starting pay for this position ranges from $56,557 to $64,644 annually, depending on experience and qualifications. Further increases to the top of the range, $77,572 annually, will be based on performance.
About the Position
The City of Wauwatosa is much more than an employer – it's a community. The City of Wauwatosa is a progressive, full-service municipal organization. Be a part of a team that strives to find new and better ways to improve our residents' experiences.
The Wauwatosa Health Department (WHD) is seeking a full-time Registered Sanitarian to monitor, evaluate, inspect and enforce all environmental health programs of the WHD and applicable local municipal ordinances and state statutes.
The starting pay for this position ranges from $56,557 to $64,644 annually, depending on experience and qualifications. Further increases to the top of the range, $77,572 annually, will be based on performance.
The following are normal for the position but shall not be construed as exclusive or inclusive. Other related duties may be required and assigned.
- Provides environmental health inspections and education for licensed food establishments, recreational waters, lodging, school cafeterias and vending to ensure compliance as part of the State-agent inspection program.
- Documents inspection findings and enforces municipal ordinances and state statutes including orders to correct violations and issuing citations; provides court summaries using documentation.
- Provides environmental health programs and services to promote health and prevent diseases such as radon awareness, safe lead remediation procedures, and education on other home health hazards.
- Conducts investigations into nuisance complaints and reported human health hazards; issues orders, ensures compliance, and monitors cases as needed.
- Investigates, monitors and enforces municipal health ordinances and state statutes regarding the control of animals and rabies prevention.
- Monitors and evaluates environmental health data and trends.
- Provides education to the community on all environmental health topics.
- Actively participates in quality improvement initiatives.
- Assist with the development and implementation of strategies to increase integration of health equity into department programs and services.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental health, public health, the physical or biological sciences or a related field.
- Registration as an Environmental Health Specialist or Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS) is required within six months of hire.
- Valid WI Driver’s License.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products including Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to complete specific training modules in accordance with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) standards within the first year of hire.
- Three years of experience in the field of environmental health preferred.
- Proficiency in HealthSpace preferred.
- A lead (Pb) hazard investigator certification is preferred at time of hire; required within one year of hire.
- Certification as a Certified Pool Operator (C.P.O) preferred.
- Trained rabies observer certificate preferred. Ability to communicate (verbal and written) in a second language preferred.
- Technical knowledge, work quality and productivity
- Teamwork, Positivity &Inclusion
- Customer Service
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply on-line directly to our website at https://www.wauwatosa.net. The application deadline is listed as 4:30pm on Monday, 10/25/21.