Company: HSG, LLC
Location: NASA Kennedy's Multi-User Spaceport, FL
Date Posted: November 18, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Employment Type: Full Time
Sanitation and Public Health Lead
About the Position
HSG, LLC (Herndon Solutions Group) is a woman-owned business, founded in 2008 to provide environmental services, emergency response planning, and sustainability management. Through a plan of steady growth, HSG expanded its core services to include occupational and environmental health, injury rehabilitation and fitness, and employee assistance programs. We provide innovative services and solutions, tailored specifically to our customers' needs, while minimizing organizational risks.
Duties / Responsibilities:
The Sanitation and Public Health Lead provides technical oversight and directs the activities of environmental health specialists performing tasks associated with public health services for NASA and the US Space Force. The position is responsible for planning, training, and technical direction of staff assigned to the public health program. Ensures the compliance of work with Federal, State, local, and/or NASA / USSF regulations, programs, or contractual requirements, working within the limits of established policy. Examples of such work include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate and schedule inspections of food establishments and other types of regulated operations.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, evaluating, and directing the activities of assigned Environmental Health Specialists.
- Evaluation and preparation of surveillance and technical reports.
- Analysis and interpretation of Laboratory data.
- Consultation with other health professionals and other customers regarding results of evaluations and sampling efforts.
- Provides recommendations and prescribed courses of action to alleviate unsanitary or hazardous conditions. Activities are based on knowledge and understanding of technical and scientific environmental health principles.
- Provide technical oversight to the Public Health, Sanitation and Food Protection Program associated with evaluation of facilities and techniques used by individuals and companies providing food for sale to the customer.
- Oversees educational activities directed toward informing food managers and food workers in the proper application of sanitary techniques including Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) applications for the prevention of food borne illness.
- Conducts epidemiological investigations of incidences of food borne illness, communicable disease, and animal related injuries to employees.
- Oversees the USSF mosquito vector surveillance program.
- Reviews, evaluates, and interprets Federal, State, and local regulations. Ensures compliance, applicability, and impact on NASA, USSF and contractor operations.
- Develops sampling plans and sampling schedules, initiates sampling events, and provides documentation of results and quality control measures.
- Provides comprehensive design reviews concerning sanitation, food service, plumbing waste disposal and environmental issues.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings and task force groups.
- Monitors and participates in operational activities, responds to technical inquiries, and adjusts operating methods or schedules as required to comply with program responsibilities in consideration of existing circumstances and conditions.
- Identifies, notes, and investigates unusual conditions or environmental concerns and initiates or recommends required corrective actions. Performs QA reviews to ensure report and program documentation accuracy and completeness.
- Ensures that customers and all appropriate internal authorities are aware of conditions representing potential health or safety hazards, related regulations, and most effective recommendations for resolution.
- Organizes emergency response to incidents involving designated area of specialty or as directed. Provides technical information and assists in developing program responses or recommendations.
- Assigns and instructs employees engaged in technical data collection, analysis, reporting or abatement activities, respond to inquiries, assist to resolve problems, check work, and provide job training. Monitors test results, data, reports, and recommendations.
- Ensures that staff members are fully trained in all elements of survey operations, sample collection, preparation and preservation, equipment utilization, calibration or sterilization as may be required and reporting, program and regulatory requirements and safety precautions related to job assignments.
- Properly manages by-products, which may include hazardous wastes, resultant from workplace activities. Specific responsibilities may include proper waste segregation, containerization, handling, and responding to emergencies in a manner consistent with company policies/procedures and site-specific workplace instructions.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in public health, environmental health, industrial hygiene, chemistry, biology, or related field.
- Must have 3-5 years of experience within the field of public health and at least two (2) years of experience assigning and checking the work of technical staff.
- National and/or State registration as a Registered Sanitarian or Registered Environmental Health Professional is a plus.
- Experience as an FDA standardized food inspection officer is a plus.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Requires complete knowledge of principles relative to Federal, State, and local regulations relating to areas of specialty, data management, and reporting.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to read and interpret written information, effectively communicate verbally and in writing where information includes scientific terminology and the ability to prepare QA reports.
- Requires project management skills with the knowledge of scheduling and planning techniques, Maximo experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to lead programs / projects, analyze and resolve problems.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office are a necessity to this position.
How to Apply
We welcome candidates to apply through our website https://www.herndon-group.com/