Company: Whitman College
Location: Walla Walla, WA
Date Posted: May 12, 2022
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Employment Type: Full Time
Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
- Develop and maintain workplace safety programs and procedures, with specific focus upon the College's Accident Prevention Program (APP).
- Develop and conduct training programs in support of the APP.
- Conduct workplace safety inspections and evaluations in compliance with Washington State occupational health and safety rules and the APP.
- Maintain relevant and up-to-date understanding and knowledge of local, state and federal health and safety regulations, and best management practices.
- Assist faculty and staff with job safety analysis and acquisition of safety related tools, materials and equipment.
- Conduct indoor air quality investigations in the general workplace.
- Conduct workplace and job ergonomics evaluations, and recommend appropriate work practices, workplace configuration, and equipment to prevent injury.
- Supervise and maintain the College's Fire and Life Safety (FLS) program, including monitoring of system status, inspecting alarm and suppression systems, supervising FLS contractor activities, and providing input to capital project design and specifications.
- Conduct periodic inspections of all non-laboratory shop, storage and work areas to identify potential hazards and recommend improvements.
- Develop, maintain and teach the college Drivers Orientation Program.
- Provide CPR, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, and other health related training for staff and faculty.
- Administer the College's Automatic Electronic Defibrillator (AED) program and maintain AED equipment.
- Coordinate accident and health related insurance claims and risk management initiatives with the college representative, insurance carrier and/or other agencies.
- Review accident reports, investigate and provide recommendations for prevention of accidents.
- Advise the college Employee Safety Committee.
- Provides EH&S consultative support on vendor RFP activities, participating in selection committees, as needed.
- Provide consultation and input on design standards to address and implement “Prevention thru Design” principles in capital projects.
- Provide technical assistance and consultation services on EH&S issues. Serves as a contact for employees as well as contract vendors on EH&S issues.
- Regularly engage department managers on EH&S best practice options and industry standards.
- Develop and maintain training programs for staff, and provide training, such as new employee safety orientation; utilize learning management system for developing/implementing on-line training opportunities.
- Provide leadership by demonstrating commitment to the goals and policies of the college.
- Develop and maintain productive and responsive communication with the campus community.
- Exhibit commitment to effective management of financial resources.
- Participate in professional organizations related to areas of responsibility.
- Administer Workers Compensation claims, maintain records of claims.
- Complete other duties as assigned (e.g. vacancy coverage, inclement weather, moving, furniture set-up).
- Serve as essential personnel, meaning duties are essential to the operations of the College and requires that the position report to campus for work even during full or partial closures, emergencies, inclement weather, etc.
- Develop, submit or respond to Service Request Orders (through CMMS) to address safety issues or items brought forward by management.
- Provide after hours and weekend call back response.
- Working hours may vary and occasional evening and/or weekend work is required.
- Must adhere to College policies and guidelines.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with faculty, students and staff.
- Ability to demonstrate effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to positively and actively contribute to the College's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of and be familiar with biology, chemistry, and physics terminology and basic laboratory operations; governmental regulations including OSHA, WISHA, and ADA in construction and general industry, fire safety, air quality, ergonomics, emergency management and vehicle/equipment safety.
- Familiarity with two-way radio communications methods and technology.
- Ability to acquire CPR and First Aid training certification.
- Ability to obtain a valid Washington State driver's license.
- Ability to develop and implement a comprehensive safety program.
- Ability to be reliable and capable of working independently.
- Ability to move supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to successfully collaborate and maintain compliance with agencies having jurisdiction.
- Ability to use available technology and equipment to effectively fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Ability and desire to establish positive relationships in the workplace and successfully collaborate with a diverse work population regardless of race, gender, physical limitations, religious beliefs or sexual orientation.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Two (2) years of EH&S related work experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Physical/Life Science, Occupational Safety, Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene, Health Sciences or related field.
- Work experience in higher education, research, K-12 or health care.
- Applicable certifications, such as ASP, TSP, CIH, NIMS ICS.
- Familiarity and/or experience in art studio, theater operations and construction safety.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
How to Apply
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://apptrkr.com/3071285
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.