To be eligible for the CFOI credential, a candidate must meet the criteria for the Degree Track or the Experience Track as follows:
- Degree Track
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, with 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) of science and a college level math class; AND
- Two years of experience in environmental health, food safety, or a related field
- “In-Training” Status: If you are applying under the degree track, but do not yet have the required work experience, you may apply for an “In-Training” Status registration. You will have three (3) years to acquire the necessary experience to transfer your registration to full-credential status. If you do not acquire the necessary experience in three years, your “In-Training” status will expire. In order to obtain the credential, you will need to once again apply and be found eligible to take the exam.
- Experience Track
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, with 5 years of experience; OR
- Associate’s degree with 15 semester hours of science (one course must be microbiology) and 7 years of experience in environmental health, food safety, or a related field