Welcome to your resource page if you are a state administrator and/or state candidate ordering an exam to become a state-appointed Registered Sanitarian (RS,) Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS,) Licensed Environmental Health Professional (LEHP,) etc.
AZ, CT, FL, GA, IL, MD, MA, MN, MT, NV, NC, OH, OR, WA, WV, WI: your state has an environmental health program that uses the NEHA REHS/RS test for its exam instrument.
If your state is not listed above and you are interested in applying for an environmental health credential, please visit NEHA's REHS/RS Credential Information.
Candidates – What To Expect (Please read to the bottom of the page.)
Your state determines your eligibility and administers scores, certification status and continuing ed requirements. You cannot purchase and/or schedule a test without approval from your state program.
NEHA will set you up to schedule your computer exam but will not provide eligibility, score and/or status information to you. Please contact your state program office for that information.
- You will test at a Pearson Vue computer testing location. Pearson Vue has numerous testing centers all over the globe. For locations, visit https://home.pearsonvue.com/neha select on the right.
- You are responsible for scheduling your test.
- You will be sent an email with instructions on how to schedule your test and in that email is a PIN number unique to you and good for one calendar year from the date of the email. Please look here for an example of this email.
- For the most up-to-date information regarding test center hours and availability in repsonse to COVID-19, please visit https://home.pearsonvue.com/coronavirus-update.
The exam consists of 250 multiple-choice questions split into 2 parts of 125 questions each. You are given 4 hours to complete the entire exam; 2 hours for each part with a short 10-minute break in between. For a description of content areas to focus on when you study, please review the exam blueprint.
Once you finish taking your test, you will be provided with a 3-digit score. This is your unverified score and your state will notify you of your official passing status within a few weeks of testing. NEHA will not provide score information to you.
The cost to use the NEHA REHS/RS exam for state licensure is $280.00 effective January 1, 2020. This fee consists of Exam Content ($50.00) + Exam Delivery ($150.00) + NEHA Staff Time ($80.00) for a grand total of $280.00 per exam order.
FL, GA, IL, NC, OH, WA
Your state will order and pay for your exams. Once your state program representative has sent NEHA your name and payment, you will receive the email with instructions to set up your exam.
AZ, CT, MD, MA, MN, MT, NV, OR, WV, WI
- Start, by emailing proof of your state approval (official letter, email, portal page, etc.) to Credentialing@neha.org with Subject Line: REHS/RS State Exam Authorization.
- Next, order and pay for your exam through the NEHA Store by selecting the REHS/RS State Exam Fee product listed under the Category menu on the right hand side of the screen. Credit card payment at time of order is preferred. Please view detailed instructions for purchasing this product for further assistance.
- Then, monitor your email for a message from email@example.com with your unique PIN number and instructions for scheduling your test. Please look here for an example of this email.
PLEASE BE AWARE, YOU WILL NOT BE AUTHORIZED TO SCHEDULE YOUR TEST UNTIL NEHA CREDENTIALING RECEIVES PROOF OF YOUR STATE APPROVAL AND PAYMENT FOR YOUR ORDER.