For candidates with exams scheduled, or due to be scheduled, with Pearson Vue:
We have received notice that Pearson VUE will temporarily close U.S. and Canada-based Pearson Professional Centers (PPCs) starting until April 30, or whenever conditions are deemed safe to re-open due to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. This will affect some of our clients who test at Pearson VUE test centers. Pearson will begin emailing candidate cancellation notices today and will provide instructions for scheduling new appointments on or after April 16, 2020. Additional updates can be found at https://home.pearsonvue.com/coronavirus-update.
A PPC is a Pearson VUE owned testing center and does not represent the bulk of the Pearson test centers. Many of the non-PPC centers remain open (although this is changing daily). Third-party test centers (i.e., not owned by Pearson VUE) ultimately determine their test center operations independently of Pearson VUE. As such, candidates may be permitted to test as currently scheduled and/or find alternative availability at a third-party test center in lieu of a Pearson-owned test center. If one of these test centers closes, candidates will receive a cancellation email. Pearson VUE is actively monitoring the spread of COVID-19 and implementing measures to help protect the health and safety of everyone who passes through test centers. They will continue to monitor government guidance and notifications from public health officials to be sure they can safely serve their employees and candidates and will reopen testing as soon as local conditions allow. For the most up to date information, please continue to visit https://home.pearsonvue.com/coronavirus-update regularly.
Welcome to your resource page if you are a state administrator and/or state candidate ordering an exam to become a state-appointed Registered Sanitarian (RS,) Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS,) Licensed Environmental Health Professional (LEHP,) etc.
If you are from AZ, CT, FL, GA, IL, MD, MA, MN, MT, NV, NC, OH, OR, WA, WV, WI, your state has an environmental health credential program that uses the NEHA REHS/RS test for its exam instrument.
If your state is not listed above and you are interested in applying for an environmental health credential, please visit NEHA's REHS/RS Credential Information.
Candidates – What To Expect (Please read to the bottom of the page.)
Your state determines your eligibility and administers scores, certification status and continuing ed requirements. You cannot purchase and/or schedule a test without approval from your state program.
NEHA will set you up to schedule your computer exam but will not provide eligibility, score and/or status information to you. Please contact your state program office for that information.
- You will test at a Pearson Vue computer testing location. Pearson Vue has numerous testing centers all over the globe. For locations, visit https://home.pearsonvue.com/neha select on the right.
- You are responsible for scheduling your test.
- You will be sent an email with instructions on how to schedule your test and in that email is a PIN number unique to you and good for one calendar year from the date of the email. Please look here for an example of this email.
The exam consists of 250 multiple-choice questions split into 2 parts of 125 questions each. You are given 4 hours to complete the entire exam; 2 hours for each part with a short 10-minute break in between. For a description of content areas to focus on when you study, please review the exam blueprint.
Once you finish taking your test, you will be provided with a 3-digit score. This is your unverified score and your state will notify you of your official passing status within a few weeks of testing. NEHA will not provide score information to you.
The cost to use the NEHA REHS/RS exam for state licensure is $280.00 effective January 1, 2020. This fee consists of Exam Content ($50.00) + Exam Delivery ($150.00) + NEHA Staff Time ($80.00) for a grand total of $280.00 per exam order.
FL, GA, IL, NC, OH, WA
Your state will order and pay for your exams. Once your state program representative has sent NEHA your name and payment, you will receive the email with instructions to set up your exam.
AZ, CT, MD, MA, MN, MT, NV, OR, WV, WI
IF YOU RECEIVED APPROVAL FROM YOUR STATE IN 2019 OR EARLIER, PLEASE FOLLOW STEPS 1-4 BELOW:
- Start, by emailing proof of your state approval letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject Line: 2019 REHS/RS State Exam Authorization.
- Next, allow up to 5 business days to receive an automated email from NEHA with payment authorization information.
- Then, monitor your email for a message from email@example.com notifying you that your name and address have been processed.
- Last, allow up to 2 business days to receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with your unique PIN number and instructions for scheduling your test. Please look here for an example of this email.
IF YOU RECEIVED APPROVAL FROM YOUR STATE IN 2020 OR AFTER, PLEASE FOLLOW STEPS 1-3 BELOW:
- Start, by emailing proof of your state approval (official letter, email, portal page, etc.) to Credentialing@neha.org with Subject Line: REHS/RS State Exam Authorization.
- Next, order and pay for your exam through the NEHA Store by selecting the REHS/RS State Exam Fee product listed under the Category menu on the right hand side of the screen. Credit card payment at time of order is preferred. Please view detailed instructions for purchasing this product for further assistance.
- Then, monitor your email for a message from email@example.com with your unique PIN number and instructions for scheduling your test. Please look here for an example of this email.
PLEASE BE AWARE, YOU WILL NOT BE AUTHORIZED TO SCHEDULE YOUR TEST UNTIL NEHA CREDENTIALING RECEIVES PROOF OF YOUR STATE APPROVAL AND PAYMENT FOR YOUR ORDER.