NEHA-FDA Retail Flexible Funding Model Grant Program
The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are pleased to announce the new Retail Flexible Funding Model (RFFM) Grant Program, opening for the first time in September 2021. The program will provide funding to state, local, tribal, and territorial (SLTT) retail food regulatory agencies as they advance conformance with the Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards (VNRFRPS) or Retail Program Standards. FDA will utilize NEHA’s strengths to assist SLTT retail food programs in their efforts to reduce the occurrence of foodborne illness risk factors and implement and attain conformance with the Retail Program Standards.
The Grant Program Portal is Now Open to Accept Applications
The NEHA-FDA RFFM Grant Program Portal opened to accept new applications on September 9, 2021. The portal will close at 7:59 p.m. EST on November 15, 2021.
What Can I Do Now?
STEP 1: Prepare to submit an application by reviewing the following information:
- Action 1: Enrollment in the Retail Program Standards
- Action 2: Determining Your Eligibility, and Choosing an Application Track that Meets the Capacity Needs and Retail Program Standards Goals of Your Jurisdiction
- Action 3: Understanding the Two Types of Base Grants and the Four Optional Add-On Grants
- Action 4: Completing a Comprehensive Strategic Improvement Plan (CSIP), to be Attached to Your Base Grant Application
STEP 4: Please bookmark this page, https://www.neha.org/retailgrants, as it will always contain the most up-to-date information about the grant program. Additionally, please register for our email distribution list using the form below.
What Is New and Improved?
Jurisdictions that apply for funding through the NEHA-FDA RFFM Grant Program can expect enhanced technical assistance. Applicants can expect simple applications and reporting, clear grant guidance, and a responsive technical assistance team standing by to assist applicants and grantees via phone or email.
New enhancements to the NEHA-FDA RFFM Grant Program include:
- A new level of simplicity, with elements of all three of the past retail funding programs—modest grants, large multiyear awards, and mentorship funding—all administered by NEHA and through one application portal.
- The addition of a NEHA Retail Support Team that possesses decades of retail experience at the local, state, and federal levels. Our team is ready to advise and assist you as you work to conform to the Retail Program Standards. This support will be available to you through the entire life cycle of the grant process.
- Significantly larger and multiyear funding for jurisdictions with ambitious goals to advance your conformance with the retail program standards.
- Add-on Special Project and Capacity Building Grants of up to $100,000 per year, designed to support SLTT- or collaboration-led projects that will support and advance conformance with the Retail Program Standards regionally or nationally.
Have Questions? We’re Here to Support!
For more information, contact:
NEHA-FDA Retail Flexible Funding Model Grant Program Support Team
Sign Up for Email Updates
If you would like to receive news and updates when new information is available, please register your email address here.