NEHA-FDA Retail Flexible Funding Model Grant Program
The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) and U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) work in partnership to administer the NEHA-FDA Retail Flexible Funding Model (RFFM) Grant Program. The program provides funding to State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial (SLTT) retail food regulatory agencies as they advance conformance with the Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards (Retail Program Standards). FDA is utilizing our strengths to assist SLTT retail food programs in their efforts to reduce the occurrence of foodborne illness risk factors and implement and attain conformance with the Retail Program Standards.
Application Portal Opens August 17, 2022
- Complete 2023 Grant Guidance and Application Templates will be posted on this website soon.
- Download and review the NEHA-FDA RFFM Grant Program Presentation that was presented at the Retail Program Standards Symposium.
New to the NEHA-FDA RFFM Grant Program?
- Enroll your jurisdiction in the Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards (VNRFRPS). Details may be found at neha.org/retailgrants/enrollment.
- Register for an account in the grant portal.
- Sign-up for email notifications below.
2023 Application Details
- Year 2 Kickoff Webinar: August 3, 2022, 1 - 2:30 pm EDT | Register
- Application Portal opens: August 17, 2022
- Application Portal closes: October 12, 2022
- Full-Year Grant Performance Period: January 1-December 31, 2023
Types of Grants Available
Track 1 Development Base Grant Application, with up to $26,500 in funding through a single application
- Required Outcome: Complete an SA9 and a CSIP, or just a CSIP (Up to $5,000)
- Optional Outcome 1: Request to be a Mentee (Up to $14,000)
- Optional Outcome 2: Request funding to attend one or more Self-Assessment and Verification Audit Workshops (Up to $7,500)
Track 2 Development Base Grant Application, with up to two outcomes
- Required Outcome: For work on Standards 1-8 (Up to $5,000)
- Optional Outcome: For work on Standard 9 in pursuit of a Public Health Metric (Up to an additional $5,000)
Optional Add-On Grants for Tracks 2 and 3
Track 2 Development Base Grant applicants and current Track 3 Maintenance and Advancement Base Grantees can apply for any or all of the following three Optional Add-On Grants:
- Be a Mentee (Up to $14,000)
- Be a Mentor with 1-5 Mentees (Up to $24,000)
- Training: Provide approved Retail Program Standard (RPS) training to staff (Up to $7,500)
- Special Projects: Complete an RPS and/or Integrated Food Safety System (IFSS) special project (Up to $20,000)
Grantees can use the “Access the Grant Portal” link to log in to the Grant Portal using your existing username and password.
From the Grant Portal:
- View and print granted and declined applications
- View and print official NEHA-FDA RFFM Grant Program Award Letters
- Access required reports and due dates, file reports, and request payments
Grantees should review the Reporting and Payments requirements.
Retail Food Safety Regulatory Training Needs Assessment
Remember to take the national Retail Food Safety Regulatory Needs Assessment survey to
- Identify the strengths and gaps in educational resources for the retail food safety regulatory professional
- Give input on jurisdiction-level training needs
- Assess knowledge gaps as they pertain to workforce needs
Results will be shared widely to
- Bolster educational resources
- Reduce knowledge gaps in training materials
- Improve workforce capabilities
For more information and support, contact:
NEHA-FDA Retail Flexible Funding Model Grant Program Support Team
Sign Up for Email Updates
If you would like to receive news and updates when new information is available, sign up below.