Journal of Environmental Health
Volume 83, Number 9
About the Cover
Harmful algal blooms (HABs) are the rapid growth of algae that can produce toxic or harmful effects in people and animals. Defining HAB exposure and related illness can be challenging. This issue’s cover article, “Evaluation of Electronic Health Records to Monitor Illness From Harmful Algal Bloom Exposure in the United States,” queried the MarketScan Research Databases between January 2009 and April 2019 for use of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) codes for HAB exposure. The study found that although the HAB-related ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes were used infrequently, they were most often recorded during bloom seasons in warmer months. This analysis is the first that uses a large-scale national database of de-identified health records to understand the use of medical diagnostic codes related to algae exposure.
Table of Contents
Advancement of the Science
- Evaluation of Electronic Health Records to Monitor Illness From Harmful Algal Bloom Exposure in the United States
- Health Risks Associated With the Use of Water Mist Systems as a Cooling Intervention in Public Places in Australia
- Use of an Environmental Swabbing Strategy to Support a Suspected Norovirus Outbreak Investigation at a Retail Food Establishment
Advancement of the Practice
- Direct From AAS: Students, Prospective and Novice Environmental Health Professionals: You Must Attend This Virtual Conference!
- Direct From CDC/Environmental Health Services: 2021 Model Aquatic Health Code (4th Edition)
- Direct From ecoAmerica: Denial: Our Biggest Environmental Health Threat?
- Direct From U.S. EPA/Office of Research and Development: Delivering Science to Front Lines of a Disaster: How U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Researchers Assist With Environmental Emergency Response
Advancement of the Practitioner
- JEH Quiz #6
- EH Calendar
- Resource Corner
- President's Message: Advocating for the Profession
- Special Listing
- NEHA 2021 AEC Three-Part Virtual Series
- NEHA News
- In Memoriam
- DirecTalk: Musings From the 10th Floor: Lee Vining
- Custom Data Processing
- HealthSpace USA Inc
- Industrial Test Systems, Inc.
- Inspect2GO Environmental Health Software
- Ozark River Manufacturing Co.
- Private Well Class