Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Resources
During power outages after hurricanes/typhoons, major flooding or other extreme weather events, residents can be at risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning if portable generators are not properly used. CO is an odorless and colorless gas that can cause sudden illness or death. CO poisoning typically occurs from breathing in too much carbon monoxide when fossil fuels are burned. Symptoms feel flu-like and include headaches, dizziness, fatigue, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Longer hazardous exposure can result in loss of consciousness, arrhythmias, seizures and death. Below are tools that can assist Environmental Health Professionals in informing the public on preventative measures to reduce exposure to carbon monoxide.