REHS/RS Study Materials
Review these study references that are recommended to assist candidates in preparing for the Registered Environmental Health Specialist/Registered Sanitarian (REHS/RS) credential exam.
REHS/RS Study Guide, NEHA, 2021
261 pages, paperback
Starting in 2020, the NEHA launched the process of revising this study guide to reflect the most recent changes and advancements in environmental health technologies and theories. Incorporating the insights of 29 subject matter experts from across academia, industry, and the regulatory community, paired with references from over 30 scholarly resources, the fifth edition of the REHS/RS Study Guide was thoughtfully compiled and recreated in a fresh visual layout to enhance the reading and studying experience.
The fifth edition includes 15 chapters that provide an overview of each content area for the REHS/RS credential exam. Each chapter covers a different environmental domain and is broken down into standardized sections including Roles and Responsibilities, Recommended Reading, and Test Mapping. At the conclusion of each chapter, there is a collection of sample exam questions to provide exam candidates the opportunity to apply the principles for that domain.
Chapter topics include:
- General Environmental Health
- Statutes and Regulations
- Food Protection
- Potable Water
- Solid and Hazardous Waste
- Hazardous Materials
- Zoonoses, Vectors, Pests, and Poisonous Plants
- Radiation Protection
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Air Quality and Environmental Noise
- Housing Sanitation and Safety
- Institutions and Licensed Establishments
- Swimming Pools and Recreational Facilities
- Emergency Preparedness
This essential guide is intended for those seeking to obtain the NEHA REHS/RS credential. It provides a general overview of the topics found on the REHS/RS credential exam and helps those studying for the exam identify areas of strength and areas where more study is needed.
Purchase the REHS/RS Study Guide in our Bookstore.
The following are additional references to assist candidates in preparing for the REHS/RS credential exam in both specific and general environmental health topic areas. Several of these references are available for purchase through our Bookstore. Direct links are listed next to each reference.
- National Environmental Health Association. (2021). REHS/RS Study Guide (5th ed.). | NEHA Bookstore
- California Association of Environmental Health Administrators. (2012). Disaster Field Manual for Environmental Health Specialists. | NEHA Bookstore
- Carter, M. (2007). Soil Sampling and Methods of Analysis. CRC Press.
- Das, D.B., & Chandrappa, R. (2012). Solid Waste Management: Principles and Practice. Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Ewing, K.A., McCall, D.R., III, Case, D.R., Miller, M.L., Steinway, D.M., Nardi, K.J., Bell, C., Landfair, S.W., Olney, A.P., Richichi, T., Brownell, F.W., King, J.O., Scagnelli, J.M., Spensley, J.W., von Oppenfeld, R.R., & Davis, A.N. (2019). Environmental Law Handbook (24th ed.). Bernan Press. | NEHA Bookstore
- Food and Drug Administration. 2009, 2013, and 2017 Model Food Codes.
- Ginter, P.M., Swayne, L.E., & Duncan, J.W. (2018). The Strategic Management of Health Care Organizations. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Glasson, J., & Therivel, R. (2019). Introduction To Environmental Impact Assessment. Taylor & Francis.
- Hellberg, R.S., Everstine, K., & Sklare, S.A. (2020). Food Fraud: A Global Threat with Public Health and Economic Consequences (1st ed.). Academic Press.
- Heymann, D.L. (Ed). (2014). Control of Communicable Diseases Manual (20th ed). APHA Press. | NEHA Bookstore
- Kapur, B.J. & Smith, J.P. (2011). Emergency Public Health: Preparedness and Response. Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Klaassen, C.D. (2013). Casarett & Doull’s Toxicology: The Basic Science of Poisons (8th ed.). McGraw-Hill Professional.
- Knechtges, P.L., Kearney, G.D., & Resnick, B.A. (2018). Environmental Public Health: The Practitioner’s Guide. APHA Press.
- Koren, H., & Bisesi, M.S. (2003). Handbook of Environmental Health, Volume 1: Biological, Chemical, and Physical Agents of Environmentally Related Disease (4th ed). CRC Press. | NEHA Bookstore
- Koren, H., & Bisesi, M.S. (2003). Handbook of Environmental Health, Volume 2: Pollutant Interactions in Air, Water, and Soil (4th ed.). CRC Press. | NEHA Bookstore
- Lundgren, R.E., & McMakin, A.H. (2018). Risk Communication: A Handbook for Communicating Environmental, Safety, and Health Risks. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Marriott, N.G., Schilling, M.W., & Gravani, R.B. (2018). Principles of Food Sanitation (6th ed.). Springer. | NEHA Bookstore
- Meyer, E. (2013). Chemistry of Hazardous Material (6th ed.). Pearson.
- Moeller, D.W. (2011). Environmental Health (4th ed.). Harvard University Press.
- Morgan, M.T. (2003). Environmental Health (3rd ed.). Wadsworth, Inc.
- Nadakavukaren, A., & Caravanos, J. (2020). Our Global Environment: A Health Perspective (8th ed.). Waveland Press, Inc.
- Nemerow, N.L., Agardy, F.J., Sullivan, P., & Salvato, J.A. (Eds). (2009). Environmental Engineering: Environmental Health and Safety for Municipal Infrastructure, Land Use and Planning, and Industry (6th ed). John Wiley & Sons, Inc. | NEHA Bookstore
- Nemerow, N.L., Agardy, F.J., Sullivan, P., & Salvato, J.A. (Eds). (2009). Environmental Engineering: Prevention and Response to Water-, Food-, Soil-, and Air-borne Disease and Illness (6th ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc. | NEHA Bookstore
- Nemerow, N.L., Agardy, F.J., Sullivan, P., & Salvato, J.A. (Eds). (2009). Environmental Engineering: Water, Wastewater, Soil and Groundwater Treatment and Remediation (6th ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc. | NEHA Bookstore
- Oleckno, W.A. (2002). Essential Epidemiology: Principles and Applications. Waveland Press, Inc. | NEHA Bookstore
- Oleckno, W.A. (2008). Epidemiology: Concepts and Methods. Waveland Press, Inc.
- Pool & Hot Tub Alliance. (2016). Pool & Spa Operator Handbook. | NEHA Bookstore
- Singh, R.L., & Mondal, S. (2019). Food Safety and Human Health. Academic Press.
- Wong, J.W, Surampalli, R.Y., Zhang, T.C., Rajeshwar, D.T., & Selvam, A. (Eds.). (2016). Sustainable Solid Waste Management. American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Yassi, A., Kjellstrom, T., de Kok, T., & Guidotti, T.L. (2001). Basic Environmental Health. Oxford University Press.
- Yates, W.D. (2017). Safety Professional’s Reference and Study Guide. CRC Press.