CP-FS Credential Eligibility & Application
Eligibility RequirementsCandidates must meet all of the criteria for one of the following Tracks to be eligible to apply for the CP-FS exam.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental health from a degree program accredited by the National Environmental Health Science and Protection Accreditation Council, or
- Bachelor’s degree with at least two years of experience in food protection, or
- Bachelor’s degree and possession of the NEHA REHS/RS credential
Experience TrackAssociate degree
- Four years of progressive experience in food-related work
- Valid, unexpired Certified Professional Food Manager (CPFM) certificate, Food Safety Managers Certification Examination (FSMCE) certificate, SuperSafe Mark certificate, OR a ServSafe Food Protection Manager certificate
- High School Diploma
- Five years of progressive experience in food-related work
- Valid, unexpired Certified Professional Food Manager (CPFM) certificate, Food Safety Managers Certification Examination (FSMCE) certificate, SuperSafe Mark certificate, or a ServSafe Food Protection Manager certificate
In-Training TrackThis track allows candidates with less than two years of qualifying work experience to take the CP-FS exam.
Candidates for those who pass the exam in this track:
- Will receive a certificate that says “CP-FS – In Training”
- Have three years to obtain work experience
- Must submit work experience to us to qualify for the full CP-FS
“In Training” status expires if work experience is not submitted within three years.
All fees must be paid in full before the application is processed.
Pearson VUE Fee
ApplicationApplications must be completed and returned to us for review at least four weeks prior to the exam date. Applications received less than four weeks prior to the planned exam date may require rescheduling the exam for another date.
A complete application must include:
- All official college transcripts. Transcripts must be provided to us in one of the following ways to be considered an official transcript:
- In the sealed envelope from the college Registrar’s Office/Transcript Office
- Emailed from the school or transcript service to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Work Experience Verification Form, unless applying for the In-Training track
- Appropriate fees
- Third party review if education is international
ExpirationApplications are valid for one year from the date we receive them. If the test has not been taken within one year of applying, new application and fees must be submitted. Pearson VUE testing authorizations are valid for one year.
To apply, complete the online application:
- Go to MyNEHA.
- Select "NEHA Credentials" in the top right.
- Select "Apply for Certification.”
- Login or create a free NEHA account. Use an email as the username.
- The REHS/RS application will appear.
- Complete the application and submit. Progress can be saved and returned to as needed.
- To maintain the CP-FS credential, individuals must:
- Earn and submit a minimum of 24 hours of continuing education every two years
- Pay renewal fee every two years ($130.00 members; $345.00 non-members)
- Agree to and sign our Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct Policy