CP-FS Online Review Course
The Certified Professional–Food Safety (CP-FS) online review course has been developed by industry experts from across the various food safety disciplines. The course provides participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to help ensure safe food in any retail environment, whether as a quality assurance or quality control manager, a facility manager, a food-safe chemical supplier, or as a regulatory inspector/investigator.
CP-FS is the only food safety credential that requires a combination of education, training, and job expertise. Recipients must understand food microbiology, hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) principles, and the regulatory requirements in the most recent Food Codes. The CP-FS Online Review Course will provide you with information on each of these topics to deepen your understanding of what’s needed to perform well in the kitchen and on the exam.
This course is designed to help candidates prepare for NEHA’s CP-FS credential examination.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to describe and explain:
- Causes and prevention of foodborne illness
- HACCP plans and active managerial control
- Cleaning and sanitizing
- Conducting facility plan reviews
- Pest control
- Risk-based inspections
- Sampling food for laboratory analysis
- Food defense
- Responding to food emergencies and foodborne illness outbreaks
- Legal aspects of food safety
At the end of the course, there is a practice exam that consists of 34 multiple-choice questions to help participants confirm their understanding of course content and help prepare for the written exam. Completion of this practice exam does not guarantee a particular score on the credential exam and completion of the practice exam is not required.
This online course is made up of 12 self-paced modules. Participants may leave the course at any time and can resume where they left off. Total course duration depends on individual learning styles and prior knowledge of the subject matter. Throughout the course, you will have the opportunity to hear directly from others who have the CP-FS credential and test your own understanding with knowledge check questions.
Additional Study Materials
Review the following study references recommended to assist the candidate in preparing for the CP-FS examination.
CP-FS Paperback Study Guide
Our CP-FS Study Guide (4th Edition) has been updated to the 2017 FDA Food Code and includes information and requirements from the Food Safety Modernization Act. It was developed by retail professionals to help prepare candidates for the CP-FS credential exam with in-depth content, an examination blueprint, practice test, and many helpful appendices. The CP-FS Study Guide gives students the information they need to perform well in the kitchen and on the exam, and provides additional references for more in-depth study.
The e-book version of the CP-FS Study Guide can be purchased in the Google Play Store. To read the study guide on your device, you'll need to download the Google Play Books app. NEHA members are eligible for a discounted rate. Add the CP-FS Study Guide e-book to your cart in our bookstore and checkout to receive a promo code via email that allows you to purchase the book via Google Play at the members-only price. The content in the e-book is the same as the paperback.)
CP-FS Flash Cards
We offer over 195 flash cards (now with pictures!) to quiz you on the information presented in the CP-FS credential exam. We have reviewed the flash cards to make sure they have the most up to date information and categorized them so you can focus on studying the topics you need the most.
The online flash cards can be accessed on a desktop or mobile device. Study the cards as many times as you want with only a click – no paper required. The online flash cards contain the same content as the printed version.
- FDA: Federal Drug Administration 2017 Food Code
- FDA: Code of Federal Regulations Title 21
- Modern Food Microbiology (Seventh Edition), 2005, J. M. Jay, M. J. Loessner, and D.A. Golden
- FDA: Bioterrorism Act of 2002
- FDA: CARVER + Shock: Enhancing Food Defense
- CDC: Emerging Infectious Diseases (Volume 18, Number 3), 2012.
- FDA: Food Establishment Plan Review Guide
- CIFOR: Guidelines for Foodborne Disease Outbreak Response
- Conference for Food Protection: Emergency Action Plan for Retail Food Establishments
- FDA: Investigations Operations Manual 2012
- Essentials of Food Safety and Sanitation, 4th Edition, 2005. D. McSwane, N. Rue, and R. Linton
- FDA: Guidance for Industry: Retail Food Stores and Food Service Establishments
- FDA: Managing Food Safety: A Regulator's Manual For Applying HACCP Principles to Risk-based Retail and Food Service Inspections and Evaluating Voluntary Food Safety Management Systems
- Environmental Engineering, 6th Edition, 2009. J.A. Salvato, N. Nemerow, F. Agardy
- FDA: Reportable Food Registry for Industry
- Principles of Food Sanitation, 5th Edition, 2006, N.G. Marriott and R.B. Gravani
- FDA: Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards
- FEMA: Incident Command System Overview
- FDA: Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act (FDAAA) of 2007
- FDA: Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- FDA: Guide to Traceback of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Implicated in Epidemiological Investigations
- IUFoST: Scientific Information Bulletin (SIB): Food Traceability, 2012
- FDA: HACCP Principles & Application Guidelines
- FEMA: National Incident Management System
- The HACCP Food Safety Manual, 1995, Joan K. Loken
- Control of Communicable Diseases Manual, 18th Edition, 2004. APHA, Ed. By David Heymann, M